• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker in Rear

Chuck and others,

May I draw on your experience and ask for some clarifications for a newbie in the ... locked world?

What I know so far, for automatic lockers, is that they lock when they sense torque applied by the engine. If that is correct, it means that you have to roll around corners, without applying power. This can be acceptable when going on a straight road, or even downhill, but what happens when you are driving up a twisty, paved hill road? A road with turns, through which you have to power your vehicle, or else you stop moving ahead? Do these lockers (and yes, I am considering the Aussies for my old truck) lock in that situation? And if they do, how does that affect your truck's behaviour?

Guys, I apologize if this is totally newbie to you, but I've never owned a locked truck and I am trying to make a correct decision, as to what lockers to get. The ARBs where my initial wish (and current but...) but they cost a fortune compared to the Aussies.

Looking forward to hear your sayings.

Rgds

You coast around corners so your diff doesn't act if it is welded or spooled. Otherwise you can power though corners, but when you do aply power the vechicle is going to want to go straight. I have driven my XJ up very twisty roads the Sierra's many times with an automatic locker, not once did I have a problem with it. Even when there was snow or ice on the road.

From what i have been told, if you have an aoutmatic tranny, it is nearly invisible.

Also I tested the Aussie this weekend, it operated just like my Lock-right offroad. It held up against some nasty abuse I put it through.

XJCHUCK72 said:
You coast around corners so your diff doesn't act if it is welded or spooled. Otherwise you can power though corners, but when you do aply power the vechicle is going to want to go straight. I have driven my XJ up very twisty roads the Sierra's many times with an automatic locker, not once did I have a problem with it. Even when there was snow or ice on the road.

So Chuck, what you mean is that the truck's behaviour is indeed affected, but it is not that severe that can cause problems? Does more steering input brings the truck back to the right line?

Please forgive me for those (possibly) stupid questions, but the savings involved are quite substantial (200$ for the Aussie vs 650-700 ofr an ARB), but I do not want to create a trail-only rig, since this is my daily-driver.

Rgds and tnx

XJCHUCK72 said:
If you have the ability to save money, then spend it wisely on an ARB.

As far as the Aussie/Lock-Right, I can't really explain it any further. If you could find someone in Greece with an Automatic Locker, then maybe you could take their rig for a ride and feel the difference.

Chuck,

Thanks for your efforts to help a newbie, sincerely appreciated.

Rgds

SV1CEC said:
Please forgive me for those (possibly) stupid questions, but the savings involved are quite substantial (200$ for the Aussie vs 650-700 ofr an ARB), but I do not want to create a trail-only rig, since this is my daily-driver.

It isn't really fair to compare an Aussie or any other locker to an ARB, which is selectable. Much of the added cost for the ARB is the capability to lock and unlock the diff. The automatic lockers lock when THEY want to, not when you tell them to.

Don't forget, also, that you must include the cost of an on-board compressor to actuate the ARB. A price of $650 to $700, as I understand it, includes only the locker but not the compressor and fittings.

You could add to your list for consideration an aggressive limited slip. They aren't for everyone, but they ARE mostly transparent on the street (except in snow and ice), and IMHO are much better than an open diff off-road.

Eagle said:
It isn't really fair to compare an Aussie or any other locker to an ARB, which is selectable. Much of the added cost for the ARB is the capability to lock and unlock the diff. The automatic lockers lock when THEY want to, not when you tell them to.

Don't forget, also, that you must include the cost of an on-board compressor to actuate the ARB. A price of $650 to $700, as I understand it, includes only the locker but not the compressor and fittings.

You could add to your list for consideration an aggressive limited slip. They aren't for everyone, but they ARE mostly transparent on the street (except in snow and ice), and IMHO are much better than an open diff off-road.

Eagle,

Re. ARB, I know about the compressor, but I already have that. I purchased it about two years ago, when I was planning to add ARBs to the Musso, so it is not an "additional expense", in the sense that I've already got it and at the moment, it is just sitting under the hood of the Musso doing nothing.

As for the LSDs, this is something I have experience with, from my earlier rallying involvement. What I do not like about them (and this is the main reason I've never consider them for the XJ) is that when the friction material is gone, you have to rebuild the unit, and these parts are not available here. So, it will be more work for you LoL!!!!

I guess I should take Chuck's advise, save the money and go for the ultimate solution, a selectable locker, which does not affect your normal driving.

On a different subject, my ISP has done nothing to resolve the issue, I e-mailed them yesterday evening with a hate-you letter and hopefully I'll have it solved by Monday, or else their Technical manager will be informed (an old friend of mine).

National holiday here today, so I guess more baby-sitting is in my future.

Take care friend.

SV1CEC said:

As for the LSDs, this is something I have experience with, from my earlier rallying involvement. What I do not like about them (and this is the main reason I've never consider them for the XJ) is that when the friction material is gone, you have to rebuild the unit, and these parts are not available here. So, it will be more work for you LoL!!!!

There are now LSDs that are gear based instead of friction material and would never need rebuilding.

MarkF said:
There are now LSDs that are gear based instead of friction material and would never need rebuilding.

Yes, I have heard of them, but don't they require a special lubricant? What I want to avoid is to buy something and then to be left without oil or parts. Greece is not the ideal place for these strange oil additives or replacement parts.

Many thanks and rgds

Last edited:
SV1CEC said:
Yes, I have heard of them, but don't they require a special lubricant? What I want to avoid is to buy something and then to be left without oil or parts. Greece is not the ideal place for these strange oil additives or replacement parts.

Many thanks and rgds

Per Powertrax's site there is no special fluid. It is called the No-Slip, this sounds like the perfect solution for you.

http://www.powertrax.com/nsspec.htm

The Powertrax No-Slip is a genuine lunchbox locker, not a limited slip... it is a synchronized version of the lock-rite, which is very similar to the Aussie locker that started this whole thread. I think what MarkF meant

is the Detroit Tru-Trac or any type of Torsen differential.

The debate is still out on what the Detroit Gearless locker actually is. Eagle is under the impression that it is the only lunchbox limited slip on the market, but I haven't examined one to form my own opinion on the matter.

It is true that lockers handle differently than a limited slip or open differential... but a good driver also gets used to how his vehicle handles. I've ran a No-Slip for several years in both inclement weather on pavement and in off-road situations, twisty mountain roads and flat highways. Once I got used to the change in handling, I can make the truck do donuts if I want, or behave smoothly. It all lies in how you treat the throttle while turning.

i would just get a locker if i were you (but keep in mind im not you.) when they kick in you can't really tell if your going over 40mph. I didnt ever notice mine unless i was in a parking lot or turning sharp at low speeds.

now i run a spooled rearend and it's awesome. :rolleyes:
at least i dont have to guess when it engages :D

Hey guys, you are a great team.

I think that you gave me the excuse I need to go get those lockers!

What I am worried about, is that in Greece, the roads are not exactly like US. Very little highway driving, narrow twisting mountain roads, and lot's of city driving. Add the fact that my truck is a very underpowered 2.5 lt one (old, carb engine, 1984) and you see why I worry about the usage of a locker, which is not selectable.

But as I said, I can get two Aussies for less than 2/3 of the price of one ARB, so I think that I know what Santa Claus will get me for Christmas.

Thanks people, spending my time in NAXJA is the best thing I've done to my XJ.

Rgds

Back