• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator install...

Spider Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my GDI radiator in today, i got a great deal at RockAuto.com. Only $114. I also ordered hoses (Gates) and a thermostat. In case anyone else is looking into one, it was only $157 for all 3 total shipping included.

On to the main point though. Other than the bolts on the plate cover that get ruined during the install, is there anything else i'll need to do the job with? One searched post had said about getting the Mopar themostat gasket. Is that really a neccissary item??? Anything that i should look for or check while everything is apart?

Last edited:
I haven't found the OEMR gasket to be really necessary, but you may have issues getting the thermostat to stay put. Trick - a little RTV around the rim and letting it tack in place for a couple minutes will keep it in place while you wrestle with everything else. While you are at it, change the bolts to stainless or brass (5/16-18, they should be) - I used stainless hex socket heads when I ditched the OEM's

A little care and PB Blaster will help with the top rail bolts, but I've not managed to wreck any of those and my cushions are just fine. Go figure - they're 15 years old!

Once you pull the upper crossmember, the radiator will slip out without too much trouble. The bottom is retained by a couple slip pins in grommeted holes. Pay attention when you slip it in, and it'll drop in just fine.

I've done a few of these, and they're no real trouble. Check your fan clutch while yer at it - if it's over 5 years old, change it while you're in there...

5-90

This install went as smooth as silk for me although others have complained about having to trim things. Mine was a direct drop in. Only thing I noticed is that if you ever have to remove the clutch fan, you will have to loosen to top crossmember to kinda push the top of the radiator closer towards the grill. This is no biggie, though. Let us know how the install goes.

Back