• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to get my first XJ

junx

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking into getting some sort of truckish vehicle for the past few months and have decided that the XJ is probably the right combination of things for what I want to do. Historically I've owned sports cars, but I am getting more and more into the outdoors and need something that can get me places a 300ZX cannot. :)

My XJ will be my daily driver, and I'm not looking to go too extreme. I'd like to pop some 31's on it to get a bit more ground clearance, and perhaps a few go-fast goodies for more torque.

What year X would you guys recommend? As I said before, this will be my daily driver, so I want something with 'modern' conviences, ie power windows, locks, AC, CD player, etc. I'm also thinking I'd like an automatic, because I've had good experiences walking AT's down trails and such in the past.

Basically, get the newest one you can afford. I see tons of them on the used car lots these days, probably just coming off lease.

Be sure to get a 4.0L (6-cylinder) engine. That alone will eliminate any SE (base) models, which had idiot light dashboards. Beyond that, see if you can get lucky and score one with Up Country suspension. That was the off-road package, and it included gas shocks, front, rear and transfer case skid plates, 2 front tow hooks and 1 rear hook, external tranny cooler, and limited slip rear differential.

I bought my first xj (98) a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I did a lot of research and found that the 97/98+ models got good reviews all around, much better than the later models. I think they finally got all the major kinks out by that model year. Don't know how much you are looking to spend, but you can find a clean 98 with around 70k miles for about $7000, depending on where you live.

As far a fitting larger tires, you could fit 30" on a stock truck but will most likely get rubbing if you take it off road. Throw a buget boost on there and you can fit 31s, but you'll still be subject to rubbing while flexing offroad. It'll be fine on the street though.
-footdale

Some SE's have the 4.0 - but they don't have a tach or many gauges (just the idiot lights) - so the advice is the same - don't get an SE.

If you're a sports car nut then you're probably used to sticks - but the auto in XJ's (the AW4) is an outstanding tranny and is far more common the 5-speed. So don't be afraid of the auto.

Here's a link to a good site with info on performance stufff for the 4.0...
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

Good luck! You won't regret buying a Cherokee.

EDIT: Didn't see the last line of your post - good to see you aren't afraid of the auto. I'd recommend it - but then, it is mostly a matter of taste when comes down to it. (Actually, auto's are better. But everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion!:D )

Drewlee77 said:

EDIT: Didn't see the last line of your post - good to see you aren't afraid of the auto. I'd recommend it - but then, it is mostly a matter of taste when comes down to it. (Actually, auto's are better. But everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion!:D )

I've done some trail driving when I've gone hunting and such, and I loved the way I could creep the truck along with an automatic trans. I think that if I had a manual, I'd be replacing clutches ALOT.
:anon:

ac

Concerning "go fast goodies for more torque", the biggest detractor to that is going to be the bigger tires. If you want the 31's and torque you'll need to regear as well.

RR3

Ralph said:
If you want the 31's and torque you'll need to regear as well.....................

RR3

.......... and some sort of lift

I have an 88 cheif 5 spd and an 00 sport auto. I love them both but the cheif is my favorite. As far as torque goodies, the 88 still chirps second with brand new 30x9.50's.

Look for a 4.0L HO from 91' on. Cherokee's had a 4.0L from 87', but its head didn't flow as good and it has wires running everywhere that could lead to a fire. The 4 speed auto is a good tranny, but has the problem of having 1st & 2nd gear together so you cannot put the Jeep in 1st without it going into 2nd. You could however rewire it to seperate 1st & 2nd gear. The 231 command trac and 242 select trac are both good transfer cases, the 231 has much more after-market support, but the 242 is more versatile because it has a part-time & full-time 4 wheel drive high. The 231 only gives you the part-time 4 high mode and you shouldn't run it in this mode for long periods of time. I had the 242 in my 89' xj laredo and I really liked it, I now have a 95' se model with the 4.0L. The se model isn't bad, but make sure you get the 4.0L, auto trans, 4 wd, air condition, etc. I have roll up windows and no center console. You are making a wise choice in getting a cherokee, they are very versatile and fun and as you can see from this website, quite a brotherhood. welcome aboad:)

FIRST CHEROKEE

I bought an 87 4.0 for $700.00 with a dana 44 rear end. The only thing wrong was the speed sensor. It passed smog no problem.
put on 3" of lift and 31 10.50 tires all for under $ 1000.00. It works great on the trail.
take your time and look for great deals. any questions e-mail me.

mileage?

about how many miles is the 4.0 good for? Since it'll be my daily driver, i'm not looking to get the engine rebuilt any time soon.

Re: mileage?

junx said:
about how many miles is the 4.0 good for? Since it'll be my daily driver, i'm not looking to get the engine rebuilt any time soon.

I have an '88 that's just shy of 240,000 miles. We've seen numerous reports of XJs that have gone more than 300,000 with no rebuild. On mine, the rear main seal was replaced but the valve cover has never been off the engine. Still gets 23 MPG highway. (Stock tires and gearing.)

Back