• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyota/Aisin trans swap-ability

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got a back channel inquiry regarding Toy and Aisin trannies and their interchangeability. Here's some info that a friend came up with. I think it would be cool to swap in the 4.4 to 1 first gear of a Turbo Toy into an AX-15 to get that last bit of gearing you need.

CRASH
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As an alternative to the T5, ight I reccommend the Toyota R154 out of the 87-93 Turbo Supra.

Some quick (and dirty) info on Toyota transmissions.

The Toyota "W" series, "R" series and "AX" series are all built by Aisin-Warner of Japan. Good boxes but with some differences.

"W" series consists of the W55, W56, W57, W58 & W59.

The only major differences are the gear ratio's used between them. Also, truck versions used shorter input shafts than the passenger car
versions.

The "R" series consists of the R150F, R151F and R154. These are the heavy duty boxes. They are physically larger that the "W" series boxes. The R150F and R151F were used in Toyota V6 and Turbo trucks.
Both 2WD and 4WD. The R154 was used in Supra Turbo's from 87-93. It has a longer input shaft than the truck boxes and came in 2WD only. It also has better gear ratio's than the truck trannies.

The AX-15 is a Jeep version of the "R" series boxe. It's case and transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern is identical with "R" series but it also has a much longer input shaft and different tail housing. It came in 4.0L L6 Jeep Wranglers and 3.9L Dodge Dakota V6's. It is considered to be a medium duty transmission but can easily handle most V8 power.

The R154 input shaft is less than 1/4" shorter than the AX-15 input shaft and will bolt up to ANY AX-15 bellhousing. Input spline is 1 1/8" X 21.

Since any bellhousing that an AX-15 bolts up to, so will an R154. This has some interesting permutations.

Photo from left to right:

Bell #1: Stock Toyota 3.0L Turbo L6 to R154.

Bell #2: Factory AX-15 to Jeep 4.0L six. This bellhousing shares it's engine side bolt pattern with all American Motors 290/304/343/360/401 V8's and can be used to bolt up an R154 to any of them. This particular bell uses an hydrualic throw out bearing. The 94-98 versions used a slave cylinder.

Bell #3: Factory AX-15 to Dodge 3.9L V6 in Dodge Dakota pickups. This bellhousing shares it's engine side bolt pattern with ALL Chrysler 273/318/340/360 V8 small blocks. The 3.9L V6 is a 318 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. The R154 can be bolted up to any of them with this bell.

Item #4: This is the adapter plate available from Novak Enterprises in Utah. This bolts an AX-15 to any GM 4-speed bellhousing. It can also be used to bolt up an R154 to any Chevrolet/Buick/Olds/Pontiac bell or any bell that works with a Muncie 4-speed. Cost is $295.

I'd love that 4.4:1 first for wheeling. It wouldn't hurt me on the street as I use second to take off most of the time.

Jes

Just a few weeks ago I found myself knee deep in Asian Toy-Jeep info. Never got this detailed, but was looking at lower first gears and possibly a higher OD so the diffs could be geared lower and still be able to hit highway speeds.

You boys wanna get serious about Toy tranny gears give Marlin (as in Marlin Crawler) a call. I have spoken to him about this and it is costly but do-able. He has even put a Marlin Crawler in an XJ before :cheers:

So who has the part numbers needed to swap the better 1st gear into the AX-15?:) Then how much:D

AARON

Back