• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power window question

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
My pasenger window is going up and down VERY slowly on my 99 Sport. How much of a pain is it to take off the interior panel and put some grease or something on the track? Is that a good idea? What should I use? Thanks for any help!!

Check the ground connection for that circuit. A poor ground can make them slow.

I lubricated all mine recently by using some NAPA Silicone spray. The can had one of those tubes that you stick in the nozzle. I wound the window down and stuck the nozzle in the track at the top of the door and sprayed (lots) until it ran down the track. Did this on both tracks on all 4 windows. Ran the windows up and down several times to distribute the silicone. I reckon they all increased up/down speed by 25%.

Long term effect? Who knows! I don't care either. Silicone spray is reasonably safe and doesn't leave much of a residure. I'll just spray more when they slow down again.

It's easy to take off the panel. Make sure you don't hang it by the manual door lock and latch cables after you pop it off...bend those at all and your manual door lock won't line up and will be stuck on open. I recently replaced my power window module and unfortunately bent the cables and it stayed unlocked no matter what I did. Fortunately, I discovered this by accident. I ended up disconnecting the lock cable vs. buying new ones since I have power door locks and they still operate properly, and I never used the manual lock anyway.

But it is easy to remove the panel.

Nay

Back