• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to fix floppy steering column?

Bender

NAXJA Forum User
I have a tilt steering column in my 88 XJ. It seems the joint at the tilt has developed play so no matter what height setting I put the wheel at it has play up,down and side to side.

Anyone ever have this? Can it be fixed easily?

Thanks

Google search

will find you all kinds of information. Look for GM tilt steering column. I found so much, I had a mechanic do it. :)
Afterward, I saw that Harbor Freight sells the pin press needed for less than $20. It cost me $160, but I also had the ignition switch replaced, and he fixed the canceling mechanism on my turn signal.

Fred

I installed a '93 tilt colunm in place of the original non-tilt column that came on my '87.

The column bolted right in place, but the ignition switch was changed when Chrysler took over. One of them operated by pushing the linkage rod down the column and the other operated by retracting it. I can't remember which was which since this was a while ago, but I had to use the newer switch and plug the existing harness into it. I had planned to use the '87 switch since plug configuration was slightly different (the '93 had more terminals) but I checked it out and the vital contacts matched up so I went with it and everything has worked like it should for the past year or so.

Back