• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

383 Vortec XJ Swap

madman23

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first attempt at builting what I consider the ultimate offroad XJ. I am in the process of implanting a 383 vortec in my 85 Xj. For a tranny I plan to use a TH350 and a NP205 transfer case.
I also plan on custom fabing a pair of Ford 9" axles to handle the extra hp and torque

Any advice will be extremely helpful. Thanks

Glad to see that you chose us to help. May I first to be the one to ask what exactly you are wanting help with? This will help everyone become more precise answers or even questions.

Matt

"Do unto others as you would want done unto you!"

My main concern at this point is the front coil springs. I am worried that they will not be stiff enough to handle the extra weight. Is this a problem, and if so is there a stiffer spring from something else that might be a a good sub.

Welcome, newbie.

Well, if all you want to know is if the coil springs will support the weight of the SBC, then you will sail smoothly through this project. The weight of the SBC is only about 80# more than the 4.0. Not sure how much more than the 2.8 in the 85, though.

Now, you should really be concerned with all the engine and tranny management, engine mounts, crossmember, sheet metal mods, smog, cooling and exhaust. But truly, thats just detail work.

good luck

SeanP

That is going to be an issue now isnt it! C-ROK on this board runs a built 350 Corvette motor from the 90s. Not sure on what year or block model. but it is .030" over and has a TON of power none the less. He runs airbags in the front of his rig. That may be an option. But there is a group in yahoo, that the members float on here too, are all running v8s in there XJs. hope that helps a little.

MATT

I don't see there will be any issues with this swap at all.

Drop it in, and fire it up.

Now, the rest of the "ultimate off-road Cherokee" might lead you down some fairly controversial roads. :D

CRASH

Fitting the engine in will be a big challenge. Clearing the exhaust gets tricky. You really need to be running a shrouded mechanical fan and clearing the fan to radiator and engine to firewall can also be tough.

I fit mine in a unique way. I completely removed the unibody frame channels through the engine compartment and removed the front cross member. I fabricated a complete ladder subframe. This freed up all kinds of space side to side and front to rear and the fit is still fairly tight.
I also had to hammer clearance the firewall and tranny tunnel quite a bit.

Can you do a Vortec 383??? I'm not real familiar with the fuel-air managment system on a Vortec but I know that modifying the displacement on non-MAF (Mass-Air-Flow) controlled vehicles can cause re-programming nightmares. Usually if it is a MAF system, the computer has enough tolerance to adjust for the additional displacement. Why not just the Vortec 350? Still lots and lots of power there?
Ofcourse, if you know this won't be a problem, then pay no attention to my concerns. I'm truly asking because I don't know a lot about the Vortecs. I do know the vortec exhaust monitoring system gets complex - something like 5 sensors in the exhaust. Wow!

The task is not small. There are approximately a billion different things you'll need to address - but that's just an estimate ;). And essentially all of them will need to be solved by yourself using custom fabricated parts and solutions. There is no kit or cook book to follow. I think you'll love the results but be sure you're prepared for the journey before you begin.

If it were me doing it working weekends and nights here and there, I'd estimate it to be a 4-6 month project and probably cost about $1.5K to $2.5K above and beyond the drivetrain/computer/harness costs (Driveshafts, rear axle, power steering hoses, accessory brackets, headers, radiator, etc).

I like these kind of projects and applaud you for undertaking it!
:yelclap: :yelclap:

Another source of info

Ray Pili who also frequents this forum and is on the member list I belive, runs a 383 in his XJ. You may want to get feedback from him.
GRNT

Re: Another source of info

mil thornton (GRNT) said:
Ray Pili who also frequents this forum and is on the member list I belive, runs a 383 in his XJ. You may want to get feedback from him.
GRNT
Ray runs a Dodge Dakota 318 I believe. Early 90s maybe?

The weight of the SBC is only about 80# more than the 4.0.
Actually its about 80lbs less

I run a 367 (6.0l)
Its bored .060
CROK is 100% correcto.
You can stroke a Vortec relativley easy. Ed Wright can reprogram your ECM for about $250.
I would think a LT1 ot TPI setup would be a better choice.
A bit of Headwork or a different cam will give you more power than you can probably use. And it wont require a complete rebuild as a stroker would
Do a
top_search.gif
for sbc 250 swaps, there has been some good discussion on it. So I wont repeat all the hangups you are going to have.
C-ROKs rig is a hell of a custom project. Us regular folk struggle quite a bit. My initial Drivetrain swap cost me nearly 12k. and took about 6 months. But that was in 1995 and we used a beta AA kit (keyword "beta")
Very best of luck to ya. Keep us posted

HUMMER_BANNER_H2.jpg

THE_OWL said:
C-ROKs rig is a hell of a custom project. Us regular folk struggle quite a bit.

Whatcha talkin' bout?
C-ROK IS regular folk:D

In fact, I think I struggle more than the regular folk.

I think "Princess" is the ultimate off road vehicle.

The Princess is dead, long live the Princess.

CRASH

Hope you don't have any water rights, we're charging now.

CRASH

After doing some thinking last night and reading the replys I recieved another question popped into my head. What oil pan will be the best?

Thanks for the help
Joe

madman23 said:
After doing some thinking last night and reading the replys I recieved another question popped into my head. What oil pan will be the best?

Thanks for the help
Joe

One that clears the front axle would be my recommendation :)

I would assume that a standard rear sump Chevy would clear but I think it's just one more thing you'll need to confirm as you get deeper into it.

Back