• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

woodgrain R&R

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Help! Any one know the easiest way to replace or just remove woodgrain from a 84 xj wagoneer? Need help. Wife wants her jeep ready for shownshine this weekend. So you know the pressure I'm under.

fadaaec5.jpg

A heat gun used carefully sure makes the stuff release easier. Don't get it too hot or you will just have a gooey mess. Gentle heat seems to soften the adhesive, thus allowing it to be removed more easily. There are numerous solvents available to deal with the leftover adhesive after the vinyl is removed, but WD-40 works as well as any.

Thanks it looks like it going to be hell. Do you know if I can safely remove the trim around the edge of the woodgrain with out damaging it? She would like to have good woodgrain on it again one day. It is just a trail jeep but she still wants it to look good. Going to the shownshine this weekend and wants the trail jeep to look its best. Thanks for your help Dave.

fac0e442.jpg

fac0e40c.jpg

A couple hours with the heat gun fixxed this side, just have to used some acetone or mek to rub the glue off. Seems that if you get the whole area hot, like 1ftx1ft, then super heat one edge and roll it with your finger, quick its f'n hot, then you can slowly start to peel a big sheet, about 6-12" at a time, heating up the next patch before you pull it up too. After the rear quarter and rear door I was able to do the whole front door and front quarter in one piece.

yellowxj said:

A couple hours with the heat gun fixxed this side, just have to used some acetone or mek to rub the glue off.

I wouldn't use acetone for removing the glue, and I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT USE M.E.K.

There are solvents available at auto paint stores made for this job. They will take the adhesive off without trashing the finish underneath.

hmm.

I have an 85 LTD, and have for 3 years now. Well, I took off my woodgrain, and heat and smoe mild solvents worked. But you are going to find that you'll want to plug those 1/4 inch holes that you have every 16 inches or so. I just welded them shut, and they have worked. So if you have the $, look into getting them welded up and smoothed out. BUt you may just want to put woodgrain back on, who knows. With an 84 in that kind of condition, I say get some woodgrain.

I was wondering what to do about those, I was going to use plasic plugs, but its really just a trail jeep. Holes might be useful to pull out dents. :D

JC Whitney sells strips of woodgrain that are in 8-10-12 foot lengths and the PERFECT height for the XJ strip.

Check out their site.

jcwhitney.com do a search for woodgrain I think.

I was debating doing a woodgrain MJ w/ the stuff since there never was one.

Teron

What if you wanted to convert a later model into woodgrain. Where would you find the trim strips that go on the edges? Wanna sell me yours?

Im pretty sure you can get the whole kit still at the dealer. I saw it in their books not too long ago. But there are big differences in the wood from the Briarwood and those on the Wagoneers.

XJguy

We'll see if it ever makes it to getting new woodgrain. The second run out, after rebuilding the carb, she dented the pass side rocker and .....while sliding backwards down a particularly steep hill, her silly little class I hitch hit a rock in the ground and bent the hitch, bumper, and frame.........
faad02ee.jpg

BENT...good lord what damage she can do....$150 at the frame shop to get it straight(both side straight enough to close the hatch again), and took a big class III reese hitch off another jeep at the shop and installed it on hers. Bridges the damaged area well and should keep anything like that from happening again...I hope...

Back