• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front 44 out of a Ford

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled a front 44 out of a 73 ford and thought it had an interesting outer tube design. Where the outer shfts connect to the inner shfts there is a big half sphere which is enclosed by the nuckle seled off, and in this chamber there is gear oil with a seperate drain plug on either knuckle.

I never have seen a setup like this, I have rebuilt it all the way up replace bearings, chromoly shafts, and so on. I fabbed up the brackets for the clayton long arm kit and its ready to pop back under once I order the kit. I While I was doing this I decided to replace the felt looking seals that go overr pressure seals on the front ball joint cover of this enclosed CV area.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have seen this setup and if it is possible to just cut and make new seals out of engine seal paper or something similar. I have never seen this type of 3/4 ton axle.

I just need a little info on how all of this works.

Thaks.

Nik

Nik. If my memory serves me right. Grant has that axle. and supposedly it is one strong axle. I believe it is pretty rare. I would PM grant if he doesnt pop into this!

MATT

What you have there is a Closed Knuckle Ford D44.

dana44hdlargeclosedknuckle1small.jpg

You can read more about it here...

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Did it have drums brakes?

I dont believe the closed knuckle 44s were 3/4 ton. I'm pretty sure it's half ton. The closed knuckle front should work fine for you.

Thats it right there. One question. Mine had seals and that area is closed with fluid inside. It came out of a 250 and had an 8 lug pattern so yeah it is the 3/4 ton axle. The 3 inch tubing also gave that away. The funny thing is it came out of a 73, and supposedly ford didn't put these in 73 250's Maybe it was marked wrong at the salvage yard. For 100 bucks it was worth it. I grabbed the 60 rear 8 lug and resold that fixed and cleaned up for 560$. The fact that it came with a D60 also lets me know it was 3/4 ton with the 8 lug pattern on a 250.

Thnaks for the article

Nik

Yeah it has drums with oversized brakes. I like that feature too. I think I will cut the panhard bar off and I am still trying to think up a hi steer option or I am goinf to try to pull a draglink off another truck and try to make a tierod.

Nik said:
............It came out of a 250 and had an 8 lug pattern so yeah it is the 3/4 ton axle. The 3 inch tubing also gave that away. The funny thing is it came out of a 73, and supposedly ford didn't put these in 73 250's....................Nik

I'll have to remember that one. Is it a kingpin or balljoint knuckle? Do you have pics of YOUR axle Nik?

yeah i can take some but i dont really know how to post them.

The picture up top is a mimic of what i have I think

Nik

Back