• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal Chapter's First Official Run !!!!!!

MJR

NAXJA Forum User
Well folks it's been decided. I would like to thank all those who gave up suggestions for our very first event. This will be quite an event for all.

Calico is the place where it will all happen the weekend of January 31th - Feb 1st. Some of us are likely to show up Fri night and camp there. I will get the camping information out shortly.

This is a perfect place for all. The Ghost Town ( http://www.calicotown.com/ ) is a great place for the whole family. Doran and Odessa Canyons are impressive (do a search on the net for more information). Also there are other areas that have just about everything for everyone. Some of the areas within a short drive include places like where the High Desert Roundup is held to scenic places like Afton Canyon. So come one come all and trust me you will have a great time with a bunch of great people.

Let the party begin !.
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

The campground information is at the bottom of the Calico Ghost Town page (link above) for those that will be staying there.

See you all there !. :)

Sounds good. I'll be there. I'll have to bring the trailer though so I can watch the Super Bowl.

Good Choice

I'll be happy to help out on this Mike.
I can lead one of the runs and then also maybe cook a breakfast as a fundraiser for the So Cal NAXJA chapter if you feel that it would be appropriate.
I will get my camping reservations confirmed. It might be wise for everyone to reserve your site early. They also have cabins for rent there at a reasonable price per nite.
Perhaps the Socal XJ group will want to join us since they had planned on being in Stoddard Valley that weekend.
Thanks for getting this up so soon and letting us get our plans confirmed.
Mil

Mil,

I like the idea of inviting the SOCALXJ group.. Most of us are NAXJA and SOCALXJ members anyway.

Some are members of one group and dont know about the other.

If it works out maybe we can share setting up a dinner Saturday night.

Ray

Ray, you make a good point. We're mostly the same people, and the idea is to have a fun weekend event so we can all get together to wheel and socialize. Either way, any XJ'er would be invited, and the more the merrier. Given the choice, and as a potential trail leader, I'd prefer to work under the club structure since NAXJA already has liability protection. Not a big deal, and I'd participate without it, but since it exists I'd prefer working under the liability coverage.

In a message "Richard Burrow" <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

My suggestion is that we move
ours to the later part of Feb or early March and support NAXJA's event in
Jan-Feb and announce ours for the later date with an invitation to the NAXJA
group as well. We had around 50 vehicles last year and could get up to a
hundred this year if we do it this way. Just my opinion and would be more
than glad to hear others
Richard Burrow
=============

I believe Richard B has an excellent suggestion, as it provides two opportunities to wheel with fellow XJ owners.

Should SoCal NAXJA offer an official invitation (from an Officer) to SoCalXJ participants?

Well, I posted there about our event (and most of them know me as the SoCal Chapter President), but later on I do plan to do some more posting on this event later on just to make sure nobody forgets :)

Sequoia
All XJ's are welcome, no matter what stickers are on them!

Re: Good Choice

GRNT said:
It might be wise for everyone to reserve your site early.

Thanks for the reminder Mil. I called the campground today and confirmed a reservation. Section A, #5. Which space are you? I'd like to get a bit closer to your site than we were at Slickrock.

mgt in my old home state(land of drinking) I mean Lincoln!!

mgt said:
i wana see pic's of lower duran

Yes I just happen to have pictures of Duran Canyon from when the socalxj's had there jamboree in feb of 02.
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=t1liqq7.nlu69m7&x=1&y=-s06r54

Also putting in a write up on this event. Coming back from Moab I met my club there.

Click here: Jeep Cherokee XJ Jamboree in Calico, California

Enjoy

Lion:peace:

Met up with GSequoia in Big Bear late December. Mentioned that all jeeps are invited. We have a small club in Southern California (www.socaljeeps.org) that was started in August, (I am the President) whose members are Jeep owners of all models XJ, TJ, WJ, CJ, etc. There has been some interest in meeting up with other clubs and wheelin'. Let me know if this is a XJ only thing or a Jeep thing!

Would love to meet up with you guys hit the trail. I am a TJ owner myself.

Oh Yeah, I told GSequoia I could take the kidding about my SWB!!

rscrash said:
Met up with GSequoia in Big Bear late December. Mentioned that all jeeps are invited. We have a small club in Southern California (www.socaljeeps.org) that was started in August, (I am the President) whose members are Jeep owners of all models XJ, TJ, WJ, CJ, etc. There has been some interest in meeting up with other clubs and wheelin'. Let me know if this is a XJ only thing or a Jeep thing!

Would love to meet up with you guys hit the trail. I am a TJ owner myself.

Oh Yeah, I told GSequoia I could take the kidding about my SWB!!

The other guys will have to chime in here, but I can give my opinion. We have never excluded other vehicles from our XJ events. This is to allow people with XJ's to bring their non-XJ owning friends along to have a good time wheeling. We don't openly invite any kind of vehicle to participate, for a couple of reasons. One is that this is a pretty new club and we want to meet the other XJ owners in our area, and more non-XJ people will dilute that process. The other thing is that we have quite a few XJ owners, and anticipate pretty good attendance, and too many rigs on any one trail tends to reduce the level of fun, and we're basically there to have fun.

I would encourage anyone with a non-XJ to attend if they have friends with XJ's, but I don't think it would be apropriate at this time to invite a whole club of non-XJ's. If the XJ drivers in your club want to come, and some of you want to come with them, no problem, but I wouldn't want to make this event (our first for SoCal NAXJA) a joint club event.

Other opinions?

I have to agree with what Richard said. This is our first official run and should be for XJ's but if you are invited by a XJ'er then by all means come.

We have plenty of other day and weekend runs from time to time (unofficial) that are open (talk to run poster) to any one who would like to come. I have friends with even (gasp) non-Jeeps who I also like to wheel with. One of these days I want to do a trail with the KJ guys too.

I can certainly appreciate your position on this. I guess alot comes down to if Green Bay makes it to the SuperBowl (I'm sure they will!!) When they do I will be devastated to miss their win ;-). I could always strap a TV in the back of my TJ and set-up an antenna and watch the game Tailgate Style...LOL.

It would really just be myself and Fresh that would be coming out to see the action. I will get with GSequoia and see what the outcome is!

Thanks again and happy Jeepin'

I actually have that weekend off, but only because I requested it off for my Dad's bday... :( Sorry guys... i would love to go (just in case any of you knew I was here) :)

Back