• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant hose sizes and types

Marc

NAXJA Forum User
I go to pick up my "new" 89 XJ Laredo tonight. I need to replace most of the hoses for the coolant system. I will pick up molded ones for the upper and lower radiator hoses. Also going with new pressure bottle cap (missing) and 195 degree thermostat.

I am just going to get stock hoses to replace the ones on the passenger side leading to the heater valve, coolant pressure bottle, etc. I remember a post a while back about the type of hose and size for this application but, can't find it again by searching for it. I seem to remember something about high pressure fuel hoses. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

Being an owner of an 88 XJ I have found out by trail and error tht you can use any brand of radiator hose. Right now I have Goodyear hoses but may change to Gates or Dayco next year. I change radiator hoses every 4 years regardless of mileage.

Look at your radiator hoses, there are notes about having some antichafe on the lower hose. Examine yours and transfer the antichafe to the new hoses. Also check the replacement lower radiator hose and see if it has a spring inside. The spring prevents collapse from the vacuum of the pump.

For the heater hoses I found the aftermarket ones just don't fit right. Go to your dealer and pick up all 6 sections. I think I paid around $70 for the set. Also while at the dealer pick up a Mopar 195F thermostat, it comes with the gasket and has the vent hole already drilled. it should be around $10 but to me I'll pay that for a thermostat, it too important an item to go cheap on.

I would replace the pressure bottle. You can get a new one from www.Quadratec.com for $20 and it includes the cap. There are lots of post about going to the moroso surge tank that uses a conventional radiator cap. The cap for the plastic pressure bottle seems to be a dealer only item, stant lists a 13 lb conventional cap that won't fit. The cap at the dealer is a $5-$10 item. It good to carry a spare cap so no harm in picking one up.

Also if you are doing the hoses you may want to consider a new radiator. If you are unsure of the age then change it. Lots of posts on radiators, I have a GDI but next radiator will prob be a Modine. There some tips on trans cooler lines, if you need those just ask.

On fuel lines as long as you have not disconnected them they should be fine. I tried to buy a set a few years back and the parts guy told me "we never replace them in the service dept so we don't stock them". For right now unless they are leaking leave them alone. If you do change them get them at the dealer they have the special connectors. If you do disassemble the coupling you need to buy the $15 coupling repair kit at the dealer. It that plastic ear piece plus two O rings and a spacer. Yes it looks like 25 cents worth of stuff but it very important, don't want to have a fuel fire.

If you are doing the raditor you might as well do the fan belt it will not be much easier to change. You may want to pick up an idle pulley for the location next to the AC compressor. Then with the belt off spin all your accessories and see if any have bad bearings. You can get a belt tension gauge at NAPA, it called the Kricket II and cost less thatn $20, think mine was $12 can't recall.

Back