• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Transfer Case

Andrew T

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone considered swapping in a t-case from the Rubicon in place of a 231? I have access to these and have heard that they're a direct swap, but would it be worth it?
I know that you can do the 4:1 conversion in the 231 for about $1200, but is the other t-case stronger in any way? For about $500 more, I think it may be worth it to go that route...

just trying to get some input...

The 241 J is much stronger

The 241 J from the Rubicon is way beefier than the standard 231. The 4:1 gears in the 241 J are also stronger than the 4:1 conversion.

i have it my XJ. very tight fit, but works with just some grinding on the tranny mount to clear larger gear case of the NVG241OR. you would also need to get Dakota Digital speedo interface to hook up your analog speedometer to the electrinic speedo output of the 241.

oh yeah, Tera 4:1 gearcases suck. i've heard so many horror stories about them not working properly, grinding noises, spewing oil, etc...
and the jeep engineer i talked to who worked on Rubicon development, said they used Tera cases in place of 241 for early testing and blew up so many of them he could rebuld 231 with his eyes closed.

Some wheeler mag had a writeup with pictures for guys like me. Looked awesome. Bolts right up. Big chain, gears, case, price.

When the 231 goes, that's next IIH$ (If I Have the Money.)

Edit: Dennis, thanks for the headsup on the speedo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input... From what I've seen this is going for about $2400, but now that I have a gf at the dealership, I can get it a lot cheaper...

gotta love it...

Andrew T said:
Thanks for the input... From what I've seen this is going for about $2400, but now that I have a gf at the dealership, I can get it a lot cheaper...

gotta love it...

I got mine from JB Conversions for $1600, plus freight (~$150), plus changed both yokes to 1310 for $80 a piece. Dakota Digital speedo adapter is about $90.
It was all right about $2000 for me.

Gary E said:
umm, just get an atlas, about the same price just much better.

Ya, what he said.
If you could get everything you need to install the 241OR for around $1500 that would be an O.K. way to go but if you're in at around $2000 spend the little extra for a 'case that's way better.

Jes

if you already have SYE and just upgrading the t-case, you won't need new driveshafts with NVG241OR, but you'll need both with Atlas, that's about $600 right there.

If you already have a SYE and are upgrading to an Atlas you likely won't need a new rear driveshaft and you could always shorten the front driveshaft if needed. My rear driveshft length didn't change when I replaced my 231(Tom Wood's SYE installed) with an Atlas.

Jes

I have one.

And I think I tend to agree with go ahead and buy an Atlas.
I had it installed into my 90. When I bought it from JB conversions they did not offer changing out the outputs, nor did they know about the Dakota speedometer conversion. I also had a 98 AX-15 installed at that time which matches up to the input gear of the transfercase. Not all years do, the output shaft of the tranny has to be an "outy", stick out past the end of the case.
The only modifications needed to the Jeep were to shorten the 4wd shifter linkage, and to grind on the tranny mount. I also had a custom crossmember built to protect the thing, and I believe it is lowered slightly to help the fit.
Since I didn't have an SYE, I had to buy two new driveshafts and an adapter from Tom Woods. I bought a front driveshaft because the output on the case was a 1330, and the shaft needed to be shortened. I had to buy a digital speedo and install it in the dash to replace the mechanical one, and wire it up. Getting the correct connector out of the dealer to connect to the sensor on the case was a bitch and a half.
So after too much money, and too much time, I have a Jeep with a mostly new driveline. One might think that it would drive like a dream. Nope, It grinds, it vibes, it's undescribable how bad the thing feels. Some of it I can explain, and eventually fix, but I'm starting to believe that the grinding and gear noise is from the case itself.
One other negative, I was attempting to isolate the gear noise one morning on the way to work. I was going downhill so I put it in neutral, and than attempted to put the transfer case into neutral. I was going 40 mph. The case just ground the gears and would not shift through 4H into neutral. I don't know if this is inherent to the 241-J(it's proper reference) or if I just have a bad one. I"ve yet to bug JB conversions about it.
I've also yet to get it offroad, too busy trying to fix all the BS.
I do like the 4 to 1 though.
:)
Fred

Well, it's not ALL 241's - my father has a Rubicon and it shifts in and out of 4wd just like my 231. It really doesn't feel the slightest bit different - except, of course, the gears being much lower. I only drove it once, and haven't been home again since. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask if he has noticed any roughness.

Anyone who is dissatisfied with their 4:1 setups, please let me know and I will take them off your hands for you at a minimal cost ;)

JKTXJ said:
Anyone who is dissatisfied with their 4:1 setups, please let me know and I will take them off your hands for you at a minimal cost ;)
And if you live near me :angel:

Back