• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have your fuel pump fail?

JimC

NAXJA Forum User
The fuel pump on my '89 is getting REALLY loud. It's been whining noticably for at least three or four years, but lately seems to be worse. My plan was to run it until it dies, but now I'm getting paranoid. Can I expect it to slowly lose pressure, freeze up suddenly or something worse? TIA

Have you run a pressure test with the truck running? What psi are you getting? Should be around 35-40 psi if my memmory is right. My '89 still has the original fuel pump with 279K miles on her.
Maz

Both times mine failed(96) it just would not start.it was running fine until it just locked up.
Wayne

Thanks for the responses. So far, pressure and driveability are fine. Some days are just noisier than others, and it's getting louder. Doesn't seem too risky to let it go for awhile longer if worst case is having it seize up and not start.

I've thought about this happening and when my 98's goes I will try to get an access hole cut under the carpeting in the rear cargo area big enough to remove and replace w/o having to drop the tank again. I figure it will have to be dropped once and while it's down will take measurements and cut a hole with a sabre saw then make a bolt on plate. Chrysler used to do this on some of their cars.

That's a great idea, Rich. Part of the reason I've been putting off replacing it is because of the horror stories I've heard trying to get the new one in correctly with the tank still in place. Sounds a lot like mid-air refueling (positioning a cone into a hidden o-ring that's down inside the tank). LOL

jim c

i just changed mine in my 89. left the tank in and waited untill it was down to a 1/4 tank. wasent that hard only took about an hour and a half. would have been easier with my lift kit installed.

FWIW,
Try not to run on 1/4 tank or less if you can help it. The fuel surrounding the pump helps to cool it. Swapping pumps isn't too difficult, just make sure the tank is near/empty. If you're considering changing, start spraying the locking ring down ahead of time with some PB or other so it'll be easier to get off. Make sure the parts counter gives you the right pump, 'cause the 2.5L and the 4.0L pumps are different.
HTH,
Jeff

(my MJ pump is sometimes loud as h*ll, but it's still putting out, at 155K miles)

Back