• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from the distributor

ericz

NAXJA Lifetime Member
NAXJA Member
most mornings, my 99 with 68K miles makes one of those difficult to describe noises for 10 to 30 seconds. I finally traced it to the distributor. while the noise is happening, i can feel a vibration when touching the cap. The vibration stops when the noise stops.
I figure I will replace the cap and rotor and see what happens.
According to the service manual it does not list the distributer as being replaced during the scheduled maintenance periods, so I guess it is original.

Has anyone experienced this noise? Am I missing something?
I realize this is the OEM Forum, but are there any other caps and rotors out there I should consider?

As always,
Thanks!
:patriot:

Mine did the same thing, I thought the bearings were bad so I replaced it..........the new one worked ok for a little while and then started making the same noise. It only does this whan it is cold, 30 and below.

Replace the whole distributor. Mine had bushings, and made a god awful noise from time to time. Finaly broke the gears on distributor, and cam. The vibes can cause wear on the cap, so it should be changed as well.

Back