• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High steer options

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
At 8" and my tie rods starting to wear very very quickly on me, I have got to do somethiing bout my draglink angles, right now I only have a drop pitmant arm. What are my options? I wanna do something bout this for a farly cheap amount, if that is any way possible. Thanks for any info Kerry NAXJA

Im also curious about this. I've heard alot of different things form different people. One told me late model dodge dana 60 outers will bolt right up (dont know if that would help the histeer, but maybe if theyre were some with flat top knuckles.) I've also been told you could use the outer flat top knuckles from a 44. have my doubts though.....

anyway, I am also interested to see what other people have done for CHEAP to get some histeer on the 30.

When I had my jeep I was at 8"s. I had the same problem. I previously had a sky drop pitman arm and rustys steering conversion. I went back to a stock arm and did over the knuckle to perfectly match the angle of the tract bar. worked perfect! Maybe XJCHUCK can post some pics of it! lol i dont know how!
The pics will help to make it explanitory.

MATT

Front.jpg

DSCF0199.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/steering/steering.htm

What type of tierod is that? Did u make it yourself? or buy it. I have a Hp 44 fron that I want to do the same too, I am rebuilding the inners right now and I am getting ready to do the rest of the axle and mountit up with Claytons kit

THanks

Nik

wow that looks like a nice setup. so you drilled out the taper and ran a bolt through the two heims. Have you had any problems with the hole ovalizing now that it isnt tapered?

I was thinking about the same setup but moving the tierod on top of the knuckles also, but thats alot of leverage on the pass. side knuckle with a big bolt sticking up on top.

Looks like this is the way to go for me- the tierod is still in the rocks, but at least my draglink isnt wearing out ball joints all the time. Thanks for the ideas!!

I did the same setup but OTK, I made up a double sheer to keep the upper end of the bolt from moving and opening up the knuckle. I'd recommend it whenever you bolt through the passenger side arm like that. The driver's side should be done too but it's not as critical.

That setup worked absolutly perfect for me. i drilled out the knuckle to 3/4" hole and put 3/4" hiems in. ran a "squeeze" nut and checked it periodically. That tie rod and drag link are of FarmerMatt and I's design built by a friend of ours. Drag link is DOM 1 3/8" OD with a 11/16" ID to be tapped to accept a 3/4" hiem. Tie rod is DOM 1 1/2" OD and same bore. I was going to put both of them on top, but mathematically, that was perfect to correct bump steer. When using the stock mounting location for your tract bar, you build the steering to that angle pretty much. That is what mine came to be. I could literally lift the whole front end of my jeep up with a jack on the tie rod.

If you do it right, you'll notice i dont have a steering stabilizer!:D

MATT

Oh and thanks Chuck for posting those for me!!!!!!!!

Beez is right. True high steer brings everything up over the knuckle around level with the top of the upper ball joints. To do this with the dana 30 you'll need to run the WJ knuckle conversion or get new knuckles out of Tera I believe. I think Down East Offroad has a kit also. Either way your looking at pretty big money. IMO you'd be better off saving that money for a 44 that could be converted to high steer easier. What we did on Matt's rig helps with the drag link angles & the bent draglink only helps for the operating angles of the joints. This along with a center limiting strap will help the steering joints live a long & prospourous life. Here's my high steer on my 44.

Matt

High Steer

funny this comes up now

I am working on a high steer bracket for my friend's XJ with a D30 front. I am still working on it and should have it finished by then end of the week. This is what I have done so far.
fac20d22.jpg

This was the mock up of the arms.

fac20cdc.jpg

I tried it out yesterday and, to tell the truth, it didn't work to well. A problem I had was a little movement side to side in the upright arms. I figure I can resolve this with a gusset on the outside, notched, and in between the arms. I also lost some turning radius. I figure this was because I made it too long. So my solution is simply to shorten the arms and bring the drag link in closer to the coil. I will be working on it tonight. So maybe I'll have more to post tomorrow.

Let me know any suggestions you may have.

Beezil said:
allow me to nit-pick.....

THIS is "high steer".

steeri~3.jpg

different than "over the knuckle".....

end nit-pick.

Allow ME to nit-pick, that is NOT High Steer, that is Cross-over steering. FarmerMatt's picture show's true High Steer.

Cross Over = raised draglink

High Steer = raised tie-rod and draglink

And CCCJ, that thing is scary:eek: all the materials seem way too thin, and I don't even want to start on design...

Well, beez and mad are correct. it is over the knuckle. but it sure works a hell of a lot better than stock!:D And FarmerMatt is correct in saying that in is EXTREMLY expensive to do a true high steer on the D30. But that is besides the fact. Work with what you got.

CC, that thing scares me. :eek: I used to be afraid to drive my rig at sometimes! But dear lord, I would be afraid to drive the same road as that jeep! Sorry for the bluntness.:angel:

MATT

Back