• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much height loss from winch?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to bump my ride height up from 5.5" to 8". My current lift consists of RC 3" coils and a 2" spacer. I am making a front winch bumper and will be getting a winch this winter. I can get a really good deal on some 6.5" coils, along with the spacer that gives me 8.5" of lift. I am putting a d44 in the front so I could always build some height into the perches. Should I go with this setup or go with 8" coils and the spacer to compensate for the extra weight? I don't have a lot of money so price is a big factor.

XJCHUCK72 said:
What tires do you plan to run, why do you need it so high?
35" tires are what I was planning to run with my current lift, so I put some BFG muds on it from my friends rig and I worked great but I would like more uptravel. I am also seriously considering some 36" TSL radials which actually measure 36" instead of 33" like most 35's.
As far as will it sag or not depends on the spring rate of the coils,
The coils are Rustys, I don't know the spring rate. I was thinking about the Rockkrawler springs also.

how heavy your bumper turns out?
It will probably end up 45-60lbs (I'm guessing)

Sometimes you just have to figure it out for yourself when you get all the stuff together.
Posting here is all part of my "measure a million times, cut once" strategy. I would like to know all I can about this before I buy the parts because I don't have a lot of money, and trying multiple set ups is not an option.

Well also depends on what size winch, how much cable and what type of cable/rope.

an example:

180lb/in springs X 2 = 360lb/in total front spring rate

360lbs would compress the front ~ 1".

If you figure your bumper and winch is about 1/2 that, then the front will deflect a liittle less than 1/2"

I doubt if your winch bumper will weigh 45lbs - 60lbs. Mine's a non-winch bumper built from fairly light stock and still weighs 65 lbs. FYI: the factory bumper is about 35lbs.

Back