• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weak power....

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i finally got the jeep back up and running.....but it cost me some nice $$. The battery was toast, it held enough charge when jumping, but would not hold it thereafter. The battery wires were also toast, which I guess explains why I was getting normal current readings from all sensors, but not enough juice to turn over?...i dunno....
I drove around for about 20 minutes after I got it back and it seriously lacks power.... My rpms rarely and barely reach 2500. I also found out that I 2 leaky injectors (not seals, but the injectors themselves)
So what can I check about the rpms/power issues?
Does anyone have some injectors for a 90? Or can I use the mustang ones?
Im glad to have her back, just not glad about the new problems.

You can use the 5.0 mustang injectors (look for orange tops) 19 lb/hr rated -- they're on a few other cars - if you get stuck I have a set on the rail still...

For the power loss -- look to the fuel pressure and MAP sensor and anything that may have been disturbed by your recent work (I'm not current on your situation, so this may be inane) - additionally, what is the condition of your exhaust system ?(plugged cat or muffler, crushed pipes, etc all impact flow and therefore top-rpm potential)

Does this idle smoothly (if so - the MAP could be off the list, unless you've had recent backfiring)?

Auto or manual?

Can you exceed 2.5Krpm in neutral?

oops.....i forgot that my account was "lost" when the servers crashed last week so here it is

3 weeks ago, driving and it dropped dead. All power options worked, would attempt to start, but no fire.
Changed CPS and TPS, still no go. Checked the coil and it was fine (multimeter).

Took it to the shop, they replaced the battery cables (they were fried almost throughout the entire length). Battery was shot also, so it was replaced.

Now it runs, but laggishly. I can reach 2500 rpms, but only when really pushing it. When im at a stop (in gear), it idles at less than 500....looks like its gonna cut off on me.

90, 4x4, auto

p.s. - I bid on some 89 #19 fuel injectors from a mustang.....I should be the winner (ends in about an hour)........do I need new/different o-rings when i install the injectors?

Back