• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna Mount Idea - Want Feedback

What do you think?

• Good Idea

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Um, I guess it will do.

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
i wanted to run this idea by you guys before i take it any further. i've been debating on cb antenna mounting locations. i know the roof is the best place for mounting one. but i'm planning on having a roof rack up there before it's over with. so i don't want to have to take it out and leave a possible leak point later on. and i'd like something a little more sturdy than a rain gutter mount. (i haven't seen any of these mounts, but i can't see how sturdy they can be -- just guessing here). AND i'm to chicken right now to drill into the rear quarter panel to mount a ball. but i did like the looks of those with the ball on the rear panel. so i came up with this mounting bracket idea. i was wondering if i could get some feedback before i asked my bro-in-law to rig me up one.

NOTE...this is just a concept right now. so it's not to scale, nor has it been test fitted. i'm sure i'll have to notch out the part that screws onto the body. oh, and i'll probably use something stronger than cardboard and scotch tape :D

i'm never good at explaining anything, but i'll try. the plate that has the 4 or 5 screw holes in it will attatch to the body right above the driver's side tail light assembly. there's a small section that's verticle before the hatch part slants towards the front of the xj. this is where it would be attatched.

the only issue i might run into is the outer gusset that supports the outer edge might get in the way of the coax or the mounting screw. but i think i could notch that out without losing strenght. shoot, it's not gonna be used as a step, so i figure i'll be fine.

so do you guys think this is a pretty decent idea? any feedback would be much ablidged.

ghetto fab - prototype :D More Pics of Prototype
xj-cb_antenna_mount_02.jpg

george lucas produced (yeah right ;)) rendering of mount on xj. (not to shabby for ms paint) :anon:
xj-cb_antenna_mount_01.jpg

i know this is a lot of a writeup for something so simple, but i'm kinda not in the mood to work so i figured i'd "stick it to da man" and do something i wanted for a few mintues.

Last edited:
back.jpg

Like that Kinda?:)

:doh: <homer voice>doh!</homer voice>

and the award for Reinventing the Wheele goes to........

Steve "Fitch" Fitchett!!!!

w00t. lol. that mount looks much simpler than what i rigged up. did you make that bracket yourself? do you have any close-ups of it? thanks in advance

ss-204a.jpg

From Firestik www.firestik.com Model SS-204A:
Screw-on connection
:D :D
Saves you on R&D ;)

I put one of those on a little Jimmy not too long ago. I think it was $18ish. Gotta love stainless steel.

I like it just dont try to patent it firestik might get pissed

That's the same mout I use. It works great, and doesn't rattle or come loose.:cool:

I mounted mine to my tailight housing on the passenger side. You could make a bracket that fits under the stock tailight and uses the factory mounting bolts?

satan said:
no man -- for the OTHER side of the hatch!

Listen Beelzebub...it rotates;)

I made one out of 1x1 chanel. takes about 10 min and $2 (if you buy abig chunk from Home depot)

Alot smaller and cleaner looking than that Firestick one.

Once imagestation is up I'll try to remember to post a pic.

FitchVA said:
:doh: <homer voice>doh!</homer voice>

and the award for Reinventing the Wheele goes to........

Steve "Fitch" Fitchett!!!!

w00t. lol. that mount looks much simpler than what i rigged up. did you make that bracket yourself? do you have any close-ups of it? thanks in advance
LOL.... I got one similar to it as well :) and mine, I can angle it forward and backward on the side plane... sorry no pic, as I can't find where I have stowed the couple I had

Seems like a good design. Make sure you make it just the way your design is. It looks like it would sheild the cable from harm so you don't snatch it loose from the base on any errant tree branches or the like,thus resulting in a burned up CB when you try and talk on it. Don't ask me how I know this can happen!:anon:

I still havent got a great place to mount my ant. Any thing sticking out the sides gets ripped off. My drip edge mount one is still there, sort of, half the antenna broke off. I bent the drip edge ant. mount so it tilts in to keep it a little safer. I'm thinking about a long whip on the front bumper that I can tie down toward the roof if I have to. My wife has on mounted to her roof rack but the "heavy duty" spring is sagging back under the weight of her tiny firestick. Hmmmmm....

Back