• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of ATF

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to change the transmission fluid in my 92 i have the 4.0 and aw4 transmission and i was wondering what type of atf is the best to use it didnt say in the transmission dip stick and i dont have the owners manual so i was lookin for a little advice thanks
Josh

My 95 with the AW4 takes Dextron III/Mercon. I would assume yours is the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :D

All XJs with the AW4 (i.e. those with the 4.0L engine) use Dexron. The earlier years will say Dexron II in the owner's manual. Dexron III is the newer replacement and is acceptable.

Well go to your local jeep dealer and order a Owner's manual. You can also order it on line from Chrysler. The cost is $6 plus shipping. This will not be the last question you will have. It good to have the maintenance schedule, fuse box diagrams, replacement bulbs, etc

www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com

Also you may want to pick up a set of maintenance manuals, if it not listed then call the 800 number and talk to a person. They still have manuals for my 88 XJ so they should have them for yours. If you are going to keep the XJ the manuals are worth their weight in gold.

While the owners manual is important I think he was referring to a Factory Service Manual, THOSE are worth their weight in gold.

Back