• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail jack options

CStamm

NAXJA Forum User
What, besides a Hi-Lift, do you guys use to jack up your vehicle on the trail. I plan on getting a pair of rocker sliders sometime, which I could Hi-Lift by. But, for now, what can I use on the trail?

haha, i jacked off my stock bumper all the time . :roflmao: just made sure that the high lift was on the bracket

to change a tire, the factory bottle jack under the axle. IMO safer than using a hi-lift under bumper or rock slider since the jeep will be on it for a while. I carry both the hi-lift and the bottle jack.

John

CStamm said:
no one ever has to jack up their vehicle on the trail???
You're asking what else we use. Lobster's comment about the factory bottle jack pretty much covers it with me; no way am I going to trust my a** to some Harbor Freight knockoff jack or a scissor jack with cut threads in cheap metal. What else is there?

If you're talking about lift points, there are the Step-rails, my factory bumpers right at the mounting bracket, or the axles themselves with the bottle jack.

Replaced the cheap factory scissor jack with a decent bottle jack. I like it better for changing tires. A flexy suspension can travel a long way before a tire leaves the ground.

RR3

Ralph, do you have a longer than normal bottle jack? As stated before, it takes a good bit of jack height to lift a flexy suspension. Where can you find this long bottle jack?

It doesn't matter how flexy your suspension is if your lifting your XJ with your bottle jack under the axle tube.
The stock jack (referring to 97+) is good to about a 32/33 inch tire.
With my 35's, I needed a taller lifting bottle jack that would still fit in the stock location under the rear seat. The local junk yard had one in an F250 Ford pickup that fit the bill perfectly.

I also carry a high lift jack with the ARB bumper attachment adaptor that bolts up directly to either of my bumpers.

Last edited:
I have a High-lift jack and use it all the time but I also carry a hydraulic jack in case I need to change the front tires since the high-lift will not lift the tires off the ground.

60" Hi lift (original) not cheese alternate brands. I have had them and they are not as good.

Stock bottle jack has worked well for me with 33" tires. I usually use the hi lift but the bottle jack is great for specific situations. You can always find wood, rocks or other stable platform to use a bottle jack if it is not tall enough. I would not go on a trail ride without at least 1 Hi lift in the group.

You can find aftermarket bottle jacks in all sorts of sizes at any auto parts store or tool store.

Michael

Back