• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rim ?

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
just installed lift kit over weekend. i read a lot of your guys posts thanks for all the info. it only took about 6 hours to install. any way what backspacing do you guys use to run 31 10.5 tires?

With a 3.5" lift and 31's I would run the stock rims unless you feel you want to spend $ for some reason. Stock backspacing is 5.5.

Keep in mind you have a wider track than new with the 10.50's on there.

I am in the process of installing a 5.5 lift on mine and will be running 33's with 5" backspacing. Many people are running 4.5 with the 33's and same lift and say it is ideal, but that would not be legal in my state and I don't want the hassel.

My last lift was 4" with 31's and I ran stock rims. It was a very nice set up. 31's are a heavy duty tire for such a light XJ.

Curt

I have a 96 xj with 4 inches of lift and i run 32x11.50s i know they aren't the same tires as you, but i got new rims, ones with 4 inches of backspacing, and i love it, gives it a slightly wider stance, i really like the look, and also h.curtis this is illegal in my state also, but i've had em on for 3 months and been next to plenty of cops, and had no hastle yet, this is just my 2 cents. oh the rims i got were ar767, they're cheap as hell, they're just black, but it looks pretty sweet for me, cuz i have a black jeep

I have a 3" lift with 15x8 black rockcrawler rims and 31x10.50 BFG A/Ts. The rims have a 3.75" backspacing and they dont stick out too far. the shop that threw them on for me said they were fine and didnt "illegally" stick out. it has a good 'shoulder' look to it...

DSC00438.GIF

Stock rims are 5.25" backspace, not 5.5". The stock rims work fine with 31x10.50s. There is some rubbing of the insode sidewall against the lower control arm at full steering lock, but that can be "cured" by adding a shim under the steering stop bolt. The nice thing about the stock rims is that even with 31s the tires will stuff without hitting the flares. If you go to an aftermarket rim with less backspacing, you begin to get interference when the tire gets stuffed.

Run stock with the shims discribed by Eagle. If you decide to buy new wheels, I recommend you get 15x8" with 4.5" backspacing. Those will fit anything from 31x10.5 to 35x12.5 tires. You may decide to get a bigger tire in the future.

RR3

thanks for info. think ill run the stock rims and add a spacer for now(the wife likes those rims). now how far do you have to go to get your tires to stick out. footdale they barly get to the fender molding. i like how my 33's look ont my 4runner(they stick out about 2". i have seen some newer cherokees where there 31's where out there about a 1" or so.

Back