• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 install

Gr8XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying my first lift install and am having a problem with the forward bolt on the rear spring. Shot PB Blaster on it for a few days its still tight. Would a quality box end like "snap on" with a cheater pipe work? I broke my "Husky" socket reefing on it. Also, when I go in to buy the wrenches for undoing the rear brake line (rusted) what size am I looking for. The Jeep is a 1998 XJ Sport, 4.0L, auto trans. Thanks in advance for any help.

Those pesky spring bolts!!!

Try maybe adding some heat (to the inboard 'nut' area) , then spray the lube up in there?

Jacking the frame up till that bolt is in a 'neutral' loading may help? As might trying to tighten it a bit, then loosen?

I'd advise a 6 pt impact socket on a good Q pullbar if using a cheater pipe, and beware yanking on stuff if the Jeep has the tires off/on stands.

Does this lift include all new rear leaf packs? If it is just an add a leaf then you don't have to remove that forward bolt. I just put Dakota springs in my '88 and I struggled with that stupid bolt for a while before I realized I didn't need to take it out since I was reusing the XJ's main leaf. What a relief that was! Just remove everything else and lower the axle out of the way to put the extra leaf in.

Hope that helps.

Burley

Yes, it includes a full leaf pack. I also need to get the wrenches for hydraulic lines to undo the brakes as they are rusted. Does anybody know the size or metric/sae?

snap-on is good but even they will break. i snapen a 1/2" drive with a cheater bar on it trying to break a spring bolt loose.

Back