• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chry-co axle opinions

Arakele

NAXJA Member #946
im seriously debateing on upgrading my 27spline 8.25 to a 29 sometime next summer, it will be locked and regeared as well. But i was curious has anyone ever slapped in a chrysler 9.25 in their jeep?

I will most likely run front and rear lockers eventually and the most i would go in lift/tire will prolly be 4.5" with 33's, mostly rock action

here are my thoughts

chrysler 9.25 specs

Ring Gear 9.25
Pinion Shaft 1.875
Axle Shaft 1.32
Splines 31

Dana 44

Ring gear 8.5
Pinion Shaft 1.375
Axle Shaft 1.31
Pinion 30

Dana 60

Ring Gear 9.75
Pinion Shaft 1.625
Axle Shaft 1.31 or 1.5
Pinion 30 or 35

looks to me it might be something between a 44 and a 60.

Please id love to hear opinions

yeah i was planning on going with 4:56 ratios, but so far ive found old dodge pickups and vans gave a 65" axle width, newer dakotas and durangos are slightly smaller but are 6 bolt pattern, alot of older fullsize chrysler cars use the 9.25 but i have no idea about width on those, it has been in production since 1966, i have also found if you find one with a casting number of 2.71 and higher uses 8620 heat treated metal, i hope this helps you as well OILBURNER

IM Jpnjim on JU...he's a NINJA with the Chry-co stuff

i think if your gonna stay in 33 range keep your 27, thats what i did and so far ive had great luck, and i got a detroit back there to boot. it also depends on driving stlyle. im sorta careful , i dont throttle it unless its absolutly necesary

Is there such a thing as 3.73 gears for the 8.25 Chryco rear?
All I can find is ~3.50 and 3.90 not a huge difference, but already have a front w/ 3.73's :)

EDIT: seems many Liberty's have 8.25 3.73 gears, but not too many in the scrapyards yet....

Last edited:
Back