• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what year used xj radio will work with 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 90 xj without a radio and want to install a radio/cassette with least hassle and not having to do any rewiring. What year xj or other jeep radio/cassettes will connect to the existing wiring harness and fit in the opening.

I see lots of advertised xj radio/cassettes on ebay. Am I limited to
90 model year or can I buy xj radio/cassettes of other years.
What about grand cherokee, or wrangler radios?

Any suggestions on other places to look?

I cant tell you for sure, but arnt the 86-91 XJs almost exactly the same thing? That and I'd be DC and AMC didnt reegeneer (spelling seems way off but oh well) a new radio for the YJ.

The '87 and older radios are different from the OEM radio in my '88, but most I have seen had the wiring cut off so I don't know if the connector plug might be the same. I've been told it is different.

The OEM am/fm/casette radio is crap anyway. FM reception is poor, and the casette player usually dies within a few years. Suggestion: for $109, Crutchfield has a nice little Panasonic am/fm/CD head that fits right into the stock location. They sell it with the connector adapter and the mounting bracket. Don't even mess with a used OEM unit.

Back