• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ck out this MPG!!

Judd W. VA

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to tell you guys what kind of mpg is possible with a little modified 5-spd, 3.07, 235 Michelins, UC springs, '99+ intake, bored T/B, Warn hubs, K&N panel filter, 4.0 Cherokee!!

To Moab from Ogden i got 28 mpg (went slower- traffic) there and 26.5 back (drove at times 80 mph)!! Even got 21 mpg 4 wheeling back in the boonies!! This was verified not with the rather innacurate odometer but with my GPS. The only fly in the ointment is the gas i must use..... Since the replacement of that 2" crimped exh front pipe section with a Leach header and full 2.5" exh system, the EGR effect of the cam seems not to work as used to and detonation can be a real problem, esp here in Utah for some reason, way worse than in Va. I can usually get by with Chevron mid-grade, but this time i used Prem. The engine is impossible to make detonate with that and it seems to run so much better with the 91 octane- the highest available here.

Just turned 87k miles so is not a spring chicken any longer, but sure does not drive like is not one....other than the p-brake cable breaking on Poison Spider Mesa Trail!! Dang it-

I saw increadible MPG gains when I put in the K&N tube and conical filter w/ a bored out TB, around 26-30% on highway; then I put on the Mickey Thompson's.......

-And one more thing

I paid $1.92/gal for prem in Moab!! What is the deal here in Utah for goodness sakes?? Not quite as high here in Ogden, but is still 40 cents higher here than in Va!! Whew.......

I noticed that taking the low road from Moab back to NC... we are at $1.55 approx, but even a few miles down into SC it's low $1.30s, as was GA, AL AR, TX, NM, CO. Also noticed that smokes were cheap in Cortez Co, almost as cheap as NC.

I'd reckon a guess it's because Moab is a tourist town (with no real neighbors to compete) and they can charge up for most anything and get it. How bad the state/local govt. piles on the taxes may have some to do as well.

Yes, no doubt there is the 'tourist effect' in the Moab area although is not much cheaper in Kayesville (300 miles N) at as much as $1.89/gal. Have noticed there is a 43 cents/gal gas tax here in Utah. That is dang high. In Va, my housesitter said she has paid $1.19/gal this fall. Cannot blame the high cost of transporting the gas here with the refineries right in SLC. Everything is higher cost in Utah than at home except housing due to high foreclosure rates and the such. You should see the high cost/low quality of adult beverages here!! Whew!! Is enough to drive a man to drink!

hmm, at 26.5 mpg, I wonder if the higher mpg would be worth the extra cost of a premium grade. Does anyone have the extra cash to try running a tank of premium through a stock motor and comparing it to a tank of regular cheapo? :confused: Empty gas tanks need to know! :)

yeah yeah yeah..... I suffered 10 to 12mpg due to steep climbs and a brick of a trailer on my A$$....... but then again.... I loved my deeper gears (4.11) and bigger tires (33's) :D

Kejtar said:
yeah yeah yeah..... I suffered 10 to 12mpg due to steep climbs and a brick of a trailer on my A$$....... but then again.... I loved my deeper gears (4.11) and bigger tires (33's) :D

Remi, I get way better mileage with 4:56's than I ever did with 4:10's......BTW, who said the XJ was a great tow rig? ;)

Judd W. VA said:
Yes, no doubt there is the 'tourist effect' in the Moab area although is not much cheaper in Kayesville (300 miles N) at as much as $1.89/gal. Have noticed there is a 43 cents/gal gas tax here in Utah. That is dang high. In Va, my housesitter said she has paid $1.19/gal this fall. Cannot blame the high cost of transporting the gas here with the refineries right in SLC. Everything is higher cost in Utah than at home except housing due to high foreclosure rates and the such. You should see the high cost/low quality of adult beverages here!! Whew!! Is enough to drive a man to drink!

Keep up the good job, Judd. Utah is a terrible place to live.......it's getting too crowded here, gas is expensive, taxes are high, roads are a mess, drinks are weak, people drive crappy........that's it. I'm moving to VA! Oh, almost forgot.........Moab is in UTAH! :D Guess I'm staying.

I averaged 5.5 MPG in the motor home. I thought I woul save movey by using that instead of a hotel room. Well I could have payed for a hotel every time I put gas in the stupid thing. Oh well live and learn.

seanR said:
I averaged 5.5 MPG in the motor home. I thought I woul save movey by using that instead of a hotel room. Well I could have payed for a hotel every time I put gas in the stupid thing. Oh well live and learn.

LOL... well next year for me it's a Cabin :) the difference in price between a cabin and a campspot was waaaaaaaaay less then the $$ I spen on gas :D. Although.... I might get a small trailer (utility type) to take with me, but that doesn't really add much to the mpg (or rather take away)

Hey no one could be more disapointed than i am that i have to use Premium fuel here in Utah!! Will not deal with detonation whatever the cost. Have the feeling there was mild detonation i was not even hearing- there is such a thing. And at detonation the engine stops making more power. Guess is the price i have to pay for the serious revability i gained from uncorking the exh system to compliment the other mods. Had been scraping by with mid-grade but seems so much better with the top, oh well. Occasionally Sam's has their Premium for better than mid-grade. Was a big boost to my morale however when my baby produced such mpg....with regularity.

Yes, i will have to hand it to you guys here in Utah.....Moab is definately something to write home about!! Was one of the most spectacular outdoor sights/experiences of my life. Is a good thing the motel rates will be dropping by half and the campgrounds will be emptying cause my butt will be back there in less than a month. Want to at least try to wear that experience out before i leave here....which i will have to do to find good work i can see!!

All in all i got 17.25 mpg over 3985 miles in 9 days out to yellowstone down to ogden and back home to detroit, Burning the lowest octane i could buy at all times and cruising the e-way at 75-80 all the way........

7-8" lift 4.56 gears 33x12.5 tires 4.0 liter 5-speed.......

why do you guys have problems with gas in utah? i have never had problems and i live here i use cheap stuff and get 20+ in the cherokee on the freeway and 25+ in the 4runner on the freeway.

The later Cherokees are substantially different than your's. No knock sensors for one and the OBD II compliance caused real changes in the way things were done underhood-

Doing some searching landed me on this thread. Thought it was funny hearing people complain about the $1.XX gas prices!!! lol! Now a days we would kill for those prices!

I was thinking WTF when i saw the fuel cost, then i looked at the date.LOL. But yep, these folks wish the could bitch it was this high now.

Now is hte time for me to reveal my age... In high school, I worked at Kirkland's Phillips 66 station in Moss Beach California. Not only was it "full service" (term had not been invented, all stations were full service...) but we sold 101 Octane "Ethyl" for a consumer battering $0.35. Yup, 35 cents per gallon. For 101 Octane.

My Dad was a Mechanic there and when cars would come in for a tune up, they got a "complimentary tank of gas" with the tune. A tank of 101 with the ignition advanced to take advantage of it. Of course, the customer would fill with "regular" (only two grades back then) and then come back complaining of detonation. We would ask "Do you like the way it ran compared to how it ran pretune?" They always said yes... Then we would remind them that we tuned for Ethyl and gave a free tank of it. They would burn out the the regular and go with Ethyl form then on.

Why you ask... Well, the Ethyl was priced 15 cents a gallon more than the Regular but the station cost was only 5 cents more. Thats right, 20 cents a gallon for regular. And, our fuel was expensive as sonn of the stations south of us in Half Moon Bay were selling it for less than 30 cents for the stuff.

And what, you ask, happened to the fuel pumped out during the tune? A perk for the Pump Jockeys. Free fuel for us as we worked for tips. Eventually, I worked my way into the bay and started getting a wage but that is another story...

Now is the time for me to reveal my age... In high school, I worked at Kirkland's Phillips 66 station in Moss Beach California. Not only was it "full service" (term had not been invented, all stations were full service...) but we sold 101 Octane "Ethyl" for a consumer battering $0.35. Yup, 35 cents per gallon. For 101 Octane.

Hey, don't sweat the age issue, I'm a couple years older than you.
I remember being in high school and filling my VW up for $3.
Now, some perspective. Minimum wage, in 1966, was $1.40 an hour.
At the same time, my father had a good paying, full time job as a camera man, in the LA studios, and was thrilled to make $10,000 a year.
My 1967 VW cost less than $1900 new.
Everything is relative.

Back