• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help ASAP, I can't get the bushing's external sleeve out of the CA...

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I burned the bushing out, and that went quite nicely, my problem is I can't get the sleeve out of the control arm. I don't have a sawzaw to cut it out, and I don't have a press. I have a 3lb hammer, a big 'ole flathead screwdriver, a jigsaw with a broken blade, and an angle grinder. What can I do?? I'm supposed to sleep in WV tonight and it's a 4 hour drive, so I'dl ike to get this finished NOW :mad: Thanks guys

Ary

PS I would drive to a shop and have them press 'em out, but without control arms I don't have wheels ;)

Keep the heat on the outside of the CA. After about 15 minutes, start smacking the sleeve with your flathead and hammer. It's gonna be a pita, but with the limited tools you have this is the only solution I can come up with. If you can get a hacksaw blade, you've got it made.

Sean

Heat......from what?? :confused: I lit the bushing with a cigarette lighter and it took care of the rest..... God I hate apartment living, almost as bad as dorm living. I'm gonna try and trackdown a sawzaw....

When I did mine, I drilled all the rubber out, then got the edge of the sleeve with a screwdriver and a hammer and bashed it until it was totally bent in. Then I put a big socket in the other end, whacked it hard, and it popped out. The socket pushed against the bent-down part to be able to force it out.

Dammit Ebrahimi! it's a Sawzall!

that boy ain't right.

I'd second what 92 did. I've had luck doing it that way when there were no good tools around.

Well, one trip to minor emergency later, I now have two steri-strips on my left palm, and am not any closer to getting it done. :rolleyes: And to top it all off, it decided to poor down rain. I like the socket idea, sine I've got most of the sides bent in already. We'll see what this night holds, I'm tired, and so I'm just gonna try and get my friend to do the work for me :angel: we'll see how that goes, I've always made a better supervisor anyway ;) :D Thanks for the tips guys, I'll let ya know if I make any progress.

Ary

Friend came through with the sawzall for me. Made quick work of the sleeve. I hate it when I spend hours on something only to use the right tool and it takes 5 mins:mad: Anyway, I'm trying to put the new bushing in. The bushing has been in the freezer all day, and I lubed up the bushing and the end of the arm with gear oil. Got it all the way in, up to the "step" in the sleeve. Any suggestions?? No amount of beating on it with a 3lb sledge is gonna put it in there I don't think. And it's just deforming the lip on the outer sleeve. Thanks guys, hopefully by the time I get to the second one it will go like clockwork.

Ary

Mine took everthing my 12-ton press could do to bottom the bushings out!

Dan, do you think vaseline will help at this point, with most of the bushing in there already?? :confused: I'm ready to go buy a press, but I don't think anywhere that has them is still open :( I shoulda known this was a bad idea to try and do myself.

ary, you need a press to get that bushing in.... no amount of banging, or using a vice is going to work..

when I originally tried to press mine in, I put the control arm and bushing on my floor jack and jacked up the jeep with it, trying to use the weight of the jeep to press the bushing in, that still did not work..

a quick trip over to ron's shop and the big press and voila, it was done....

P8021.jpg

I used this one from eastwoodco.com. It is beefy and makes quick work of bushings, balljoints and ujoints. I tried the hammer method and the only thing I did was get pissed off and waste two bushings.

Well, I gave up after I got the old ones out. I'm gonna run over to my buddy's in the morning, press them in the rest of the way and get on the road. A day late, but worse things have happened. I'm more pissed that I f-ed up my hand 'cause it's seriously going to interfere with the opener of bow season which is tomorrow, as well as our midday siesta taken in the middle of the river, fly rod in hand:D The doc said keep it dry and clean. We'll see;)

Ary

DONE!!! YAY, now we do the happy dance:party: :party: :party:

Well, the official time is 24 hours since start time, one trip to ER, one broken 13/16's socket(split it right down the side!!:eek: ), and a whole lot of cussing. It's amazing what a 20 ton press can do. It ended up deforming the crap out of the lip, but it did the job, and I don't care.

Thanks for ALL your help guys, couldn't have done it without it.

Ary

I really should ask where you did this,(home-Va beach or school).Just did mine this week at my friends shop,Took less than one hr.
We did replace upper arms($12 from Qudratrac) and axle bushings from Jeep($26) .Used bushing press like one pictured and an air chisle,bingo-bango Done.
I,m out in the Shenandoah Valley near H,burg.
Wayne

Did this in the parking lot of my townhouse complex at school. Not fun.

the way to get the bushings in without a press is use a piece of metal (round) with the same OD as the meal color on the bushing. then take a 8-12lbs sledge/maul and hit it one or two good times and it slides right in. if you cant chop would however (i know some people who make splitting wood look as hard as doing a brain transplant) dont even bother, take your bushing and arm to a shop. they shouldnt charge more than 5 bucks to press it in.

Hunter

Hunter, you didn't major in english did you?? I have no idea what you just said:eek:

Ary

Back