• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noisy transmission

sully

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help diagnosing my transmission issue here.

I've got a relatively new-to-me '88 Cherokee with a 5 speed manal transmission. (and the 4.0, if that matters).

Particularly in 1st through 3rd gears, the transmission is really noisy. It whines pretty lously, particularly when taking off from a stop, and the whine increases with the engine RPMs.

I'm guessing maybe the throwout bearing? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'd think if it were the throwout, the whine would be consistent in any gear, even in neutral. Does the whine stop when you disengage the clutch? Have you checked the fluid level/condition? I'd probably drain and refill with new as a start, and see if it makes any difference...less than $20 and couldn't hurt any..
Jeff

Yep, it definitely goes away when I unload the clutch. There is also some noise when the clutch is engaged, but the transmission is in neutral, which is what was making me think the throwout bearing.

I'll try filling her up with new fluid and see how that works out.

Back