• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC issues....

cingtek

NAXJA Forum User
When I get in and crank up the air all the way with the selector setting on "face", all of it goes straight to the defrost. If I turn it down it will slowly come trrough the vent. Also, if I am driving up hills or gasin' it to get on the interstate, it will go straight to the defrost untill I get off the gas. So my question is: Do you think this would be a vacume problem or the selector shorting out. I'm leaning toward a vacume leak, but the haynes book isn't all that heplful.

Based strictly on what I've read on these forums by others who experienced this problem, it's a vacuum issue.

Tom

had same problem found vac house had come off put it back and works like it should

Thanks. I'll go search and see if I find a hose out of place

"if I am driving up hills or gasin' it to get on the interstate, it will go straight to the defrost untill I get off the gas"

Vac man

I have had the same problem with my '98!! But only happens occasionally and the system on my '98 is way diff than your earlier year. Is a classic ck valve malfunction but is fine when i ck it. All hoses seem to be fine too. Hummmmmm- Very anoying when it happens.

Judd,

The engine vacuum will drop on long steady hill climbs and cause the climate control actuating motors to move to the default mode which is defrost.
Had a similar problem several years ago on my 98. The FIX for this is that there is a 1/8" rubber vacuum line that connects through a plastic fitting to a plactic vacuum line that goes through the fire wall. Between these two lines the factory installs a check valve on the 99 and later XJs. Picked one up from the dealer through a friend and vwala.... no more problems.

Thanks big time Charles!!

I would think this would be a ck valve in addition to the one already in a vac line around next to the intake? That is the one which seems to be working when i ck it- Don't rem what line that one is specific to..... Will have to hit the dealer i guess!

Also thanks for the PM heads-up. Might have missed that one-

Take good care, Judd

Back