• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duelers v. BFG v. Wrangler

Urban Redneck

NAXJA Forum User
Am looking at going with 30x9.5x15 tires on my rig. Changed my mind from 31's cuz of the gear change stuff...don't want to do it on a cold garage floor. What companies do you guys run for DD? I am looking at Duelers, the BFG's or Wranglers. I have heard GY's are only good for a year and a half or so. What is a better AT? Or should I go with MT, even if my off roadin' is only going to be about 30%? Any help you guys can give will be greatly appricated, per usual! Oh thank you oh great gurus!!:worship:

All I have experience with are the BFG ATs, and they were a great all around tire. Other than deep mud, they had excellent traction off-road, on wet roads, and in snow. I think I put about 25-30k on them, and they still have about 50% tread left. (for sale BTW-31x10.50-15) The only drawback I see is the 3-ply sidewall is a little stiff at street pressures. HTH

tires

i had 235 bfg and went to 31" dueler ATs. for my 2cents i think the duelers ride better on the street. they certainly felt better in the corners and are quieter. i actualy went with them because they were about 100 bucks cheaper. they have behaved pretty decent off road. my side walls are holding up but a bit chipped. thay have behaved pretty well in the rockies trails in big bear ca and hook up ok on the smoother stuff . i wasn't real impressed with them in the sand, but i didn't have them aired down very much, maybe to like 18 psi which is a bit high for the 'small' footprint it has. but i didn't get stuck so no big complaints for a non-sand tire. had them about a year and they still have plenty of tread. i know they had longer rated milage. hope thatis gives you at least a bit of info.

I put Duelers on mine as a DD tire, I had switched from Goodyear MTS, no contest! The Duelers are ten times the tire, the Goodyear was new.

I was suprised just how well the Duelers did off-road. The mixed terrain we have here, lends itself to a more general tire. I haven't been in sand, not any around NW IL to get into.

They are a hell of alot better on the wonderful roads in IL, Lot quieter, and no more pucker factor when the rain starts.

I've been running 235 BFGs for the past few months after replacing my GY Wranglers. I LOVE the BFGs. Just upgraded to a full size spare today, actually.
They have been great on the road, and barely make more noise than the GYs. In deep mud it takes a lot of spinning to keep the treads clear, but I haven't gotten stuck yet. Looking forward to heading home this winter for the snow trial. They're supposed to be very good in the snow.
I've heard great things about the Duelers as well. A fellow XJer spent the better part of an afternoon trying to sell me on them. I went with the BFGs because I had to have the bling bling.
Consumer Reports ranked the Toyo Open Countys the top AT, with the Duelers up there as well. BFGs weren't on the review.
Good luck!

Tucker

Back