• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix sensors (I am missing some)

JBrobeck

NAXJA Forum User
I am making a list of all the sensors on the 87-90 renix controlled 4.0 Here is what I have so far, but I am getting confused when it comes to the Temp sensors...

1. TPS (located on the TB)

2. IAC (located on TB)

3. MAP (on drivers side firewall by valve cover)

4. CPS (located on bellhousing)

5. 02 (located on exhaust down pipe)

6. Knock sensor (drivers side of block but which one, there are two there! )

Alright, now for temp sensors, need a little help here!

7. Coolant temp sensor for Guage cluster (drivers side rear of head)

8. CTS for computer??? is this the one that I am gonna confuse with the knock sensor???

9. Whats the sensor looking thing on my lower radiator hose?

10.......is there anything else?

OK - Here's my list (from memory...)

Fuel/Air sensors -
Oxygen Sensor (in exhaust manifold)
Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (on firewall near head)
Throttle Position Sensor (in throttle body)
Idle Air Control (in throttle body. Not strictly a sensor but effects fuel usage)
Knock Sensor (lower left side of block, near oil pan rail. Distinct by shielded/foil-wrapped harness.)

Peripheral sensors -
Coolant Temperature Sender (gage/light) - driver's side rear of head, on top.
Coolant Temperature Sender (ECM) - near knock sensor on lower left of block. The higher of the two.
Thermal Fan Switch - driver's side radiator tank. Turns the second fan on and off via relay on left fenderwell.

If you have a sensor actually mounted inline of a hose, it is likely an aftermarket unit and probably there as a fan control (I've seen some that work like that) by someone who didn't have the wherewithal at the moment to get an OEMR fan switch.

There are probably more, but I'm trying to get my head around a C programme right now...

5-90

Great site, thanks for the link MAZ:cheers:

000_0003.JPG

5-90 this is the sensor in the bottom hose i was talking about, there is a place in the radiator side tank where it looks like that sensor actually belongs:rolleyes:

Sorry bout the file size I forgot to change the size before I uploaded!:angel:

That sensor in your lower radiator hose is the switch to turn on your auxillary cooling fan. You're right --- the standard location for the sensor is on the drivers side radiator tank. I have one in the lower rad hose I think because I added air conditioning to my '89 as a dealer add-on.

I think they're pretty rare; I've had XJ'ers ask to buy mine because they solve the problem of how to run the aux fan when converting to the newer open radiator systems.

Ok good, I am going to relocate the sensor to where it belongs and then cean up that peice and keep it around just in case I do deside to switch to an open style radiator in the future, the radiator thats in there right now is brand new.

Back