• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know how to do....

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
How to wire some aftermarket knobs/switchs/dials or whatever in place of stock a/c/heat/vent control? Im gonna be getting rid of all a/c components soon. leaks & needs to be recharged, but i dont ever use it, i why keep it in. BUT, i do need the heat/defrost/ and plain vents to work. I want aftermarket stuff so i can remove a bunch of those wires that are clogging everything up.....Any ideas?
tell me if this makes sense....Thanks.

I'm sure it's possible but I don't think I've heard of anyone trying it. It sounds like what you want to do is to eliminate the factory harness and substitute an aftermarket system. I don't really see what you will gain. It's going to need about the same amount of control wires to do the same job. The factory system will still work if you remove the underhood AC components. I didn't see what year you are asking about but the early generation XJ used a Delco mixing valve and they are pretty reliable.

If you want to do it you are going to need to get a set of wiring diagrams and make your takeoffs from the feed points and rebuild from there. I don't think there's a simple answer for "how to" eliminate and simplify a complete system.

arg....i forgot all my junk was deleted from the crash earlier this week.

its a 90 auto 4L with all the extras. Im trying to rid myself of some wires b/c its cramped around my head unit (i use it about 89% more than the a/c,heat) Anyways, i want some free space so i can install some small computer fans to vent the heat from the head unit.......
only reason i need heat is b/c it gets cold here
where can i get some "readable" wiring guides? like an FSM or something.... Haynes diagrams suck

Most of the control functions are vacuum operated, and the few wires involved with heat and AC are going to be about the same no matter what you do. I think that unless you plan to do some major vacuum plumbing and reinvent the system with new vacuum valves, you're stuck with the stock controls. You might gain a little by replacing yours with those from a non-AC Jeep, but I think the wiring harness will be the same.

One thought (unsupported by anything but speculation) might be to see if you can remove just the fan control from where it is, and put it somewhere else. That would get rid of a few wires. Another crackpot idea I just had would be to attempt to move the entire control assembly to the area occupied by the ashtray, or the little tray in the console beneath it. YOu'd need to replumb the vacuum lines, which have no slack, but might otherwise be able to preserve all the functions. and be left with a nice big hole for all your other stuff. If you don't need a clock, consider also yanking it (or the blank plate to the left of the radio) - perhaps you could cut that out and install a fan that blows into the radio space.

hmmm, didnt know about the vac lines...that is a problem. ill look at everything to see if a move is possible (within reason). My clock has never worked and im gonna yank it and the cig lighter. Maye that can give me some space....
Thanks for the insight on whats ahead!

The HVAC controls in my '91 XJ seem to have enough slack so that they might be able to be moved to where the glovebox used to be. The vacuum tubes and wiring come from the area just to the right side of the control panel, so moving them to the right might work.

I suppose that you could make extentions and mount it anywhere. Add some vacuum hose to each line and splice in a few extra feet of wire...and you could mount it under a seat.:D

Of course you could mount your head unit under the seat by using the same method. It would be out of the sight of theives, have plenty of room to run cool, heat your seat bottom in winter...:D Secret Audio makes a system like this that I'm looking into.

Back