• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front hubs/bearing question?

gptherezonlyone

NAXJA Forum User
About 6 months ago I replaced both front hubs with a pair from Advance Auto. Two weeks ago one started to "click" and this week the other developed play. Because I still had a warranty I just told them to give me my money back and I bought a uspair from a 4cyl model with 160k. They appear to be in good shape and ride fine. I don't know if I put them facing the same direction as the previous XJ and am not sure how long they are going to last. The OEM's are $260 and the junk Advance Auto are $117. My question is when they fail or if they fail where do I buy good/cheaper that OE hubs? Please direct me to any other info or mishaps you had with the hubs. I do have 31x10.5 Mud Terrains also.

There may be a reason why OEM cost twice as much. I replaced one hub on my '88 XJ a few years ago. Don't recall the mileage, but a bit over 100,000.

Almost two years ago I heard a suspicious rumbling from the front, and I was pretty sure the other hub must have failed. Upon checking it out, I had a bad hub alright -- but it was the same one I had previously replaced. The replacement was a Crown part, and they generally are supposed to be decent quality. However, the other OEM hub is still on there and I'm now at 239,000+ miles and sneaking up on 16 years.

Eagle said:
There may be a reason why OEM cost twice as much. ... Upon checking it out, I had a bad hub alright -- but it was the same one I had previously replaced. The replacement was a Crown part, and they generally are supposed to be decent quality. However, the other OEM hub is still on there and I'm now at 239,000+ miles and sneaking up on 16 years.

Hey Eagle, did you do any post-mortem to find out who makes the bearings in the OEM hubs versus the replacements that are less robust?

Just wondering......

AZ Jeff said:
Hey Eagle, did you do any post-mortem to find out who makes the bearings in the OEM hubs versus the replacements that are less robust?

Just wondering......

Nope. And it seems to be inconsistent. The '88 MJ I bought in 1999 had less than 100,000 miles showing on the odometer, and it needed both front bearings replaced. I do think the factory units are better, but I doubt they are consistently going to last twice as long. I'll continue to use Crown for replacements and hope for the best.

Back