• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is involved with rebuilding the trac loc?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I know I know... it's only trac loc... but..... I won't have my D44 done till next summer and my trac loc is on it's last legs.... plus the 8.25 will be of a slightly higher resale value when I do the D44 when it has the tracloc (It's geared to 4.11)... anyways..... what am I looking at? How hard is it? and how easy is it to screw up??

Kejtar

I've never done one. The first time my original Trac-Lok started slipping my friend the ex-Jeep service manager re-shimmed it for me, but I was working when he did it so I wasn't available to "help."

You do have a FSM, right? The tear-down is described therein, in excruciating detail.

miller makes tools to do it but mopar does not sell repair kits. so i've never done one. on a dana 60 l.s. its a relatively simple process. involving spreading the spider gears for removal, then the retaining rings, and reassy. just like a clutch pack in an auto trans steel, friction,steel, friction... the last one i helped with we set it tight using an after market shim to snug it up some. that made reassy. a little more difficult. putting the spider gears in was a pain and took two of us to get them in. of course we were using home made special tools.

Back