• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker or lift

cherokeekid95

NAXJA Forum User
I think i have seen this a long time ago. I currently have a 95xj with 2in budget boast with 30 swampers and sliders. I have a long term goal of a 6in lift but i am currently debating whether to get the locker then the lift or lift then locker. the lift i would say is like a year away yet. the locker i could prob swing this winter. i have an 8.25 rear which is where i wanna put it. and that seems to limit my choices as well for lockers. should i just wait till after i get a the lift and redo my axels. cuz i only have a d30 upfront and the axel swap was on my list as first things after the lift so i run them 33s!:D but i have heard that the 8.25 is a really axel so i was not sure if that was gonna get swapped till broke it. the d30 is comin out. anyway. was just tryin to give a background to help you with your input. thanks for any and all.

drkstrurethane said:
if your gonna get new axles wait on the locker till you get them
Yep good advise. The 30 is a good axle if your only going to 33's. Unless you do lots of rock crawlin maybe. I have mine locked in front with a dis-co 30 and no problems. Don't romp to heavily on the throttle crawlin and it will last. The 8.25 I'd swap if you are locking the rear. I run limited slip in the rear on a 35 and I won't lock it until I swap the rear out. That won't be until it goes from a DD to a trail rig.

If you have the HPd30 in the front I would say keep it, and the 8.25 if you are only going with the 33's. You should be good with that setup unless you just romp the thing every time you are on the trails. Gear it , lock it , lift it.
I would gear and lock it at the same time while you are in there. Then throw your lift and tires on when the money is right, and you will be set. JOE> Just my 2 bits.

boise49ers said:
Yep good advise. The 30 is a good axle if your only going to 33's. Unless you do lots of rock crawlin maybe. I have mine locked in front with a dis-co 30 and no problems. Don't romp to heavily on the throttle crawlin and it will last. The 8.25 I'd swap if you are locking the rear. I run limited slip in the rear on a 35 and I won't lock it until I swap the rear out. That won't be until it goes from a DD to a trail rig.
did you see how old this thread is? hopefully he has made up his mind by now.

rock rash said:
did you see this thread was 7hours old?!!?! why on earth would you bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ramsey said:
did you see this thread was 7hours old?!!?! why on earth would you bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To piss you off.

you sure know how to get me ready....i'm waiting

Well if he hasn't made up his mind, can I play devils advocate? Actually, a piss poor excuse for me to ask a question somewhat related.

If he "Did" keep the rear 8.25, what locker would you recommend? I understand that options are limited, but I was thinking of keeping my 8.25 for awhile, seeing as I'm a "beginner"...but after lift, want to think about locking up the rear.

And I DO apologize, I KNOW this question has been beaten to death. Anyone in AZ, a beer's on me. :)

James

Go for a lunchbox locker of some kind, unless you are regearing your axles, then you can drop some dime on a full carrier replacement.

Fergie

Looks like I've got some more internet snooping to do, cause I have NO idea about replacing a carrier.

I do plan on a 4.5" RE lift, I think I have that part narrowed down, then gears and locker.

James

powertrax no slip is what i run, if you want cheap and have the 27 spline then you can get a lock right for it. i would upgrade it to 29 spline though

that would be it then. put in a no slip and call it done and when you regear do 4.56s

ok, 2 y/o post or not i have a question now, i have a chevy 350 in my 1985 XJ and an ax15 trany with a NP207 transfer case with HP D30 front/ D35 rears and no money to speek of for up grades, every time i save for parts my wife takes it for the house or kids ( the latter i dont mind so much ).

how well will the 30/35 combo hold up with an easy right foot and what limited slip/ lockers would you all recomend?

if you dont mind, that is.

Troy

what size tires

i have about 7" of lift and want to run 33's, 35's at the max but i doubt it

Really pushing the limits of the 35 and 260 joints. even with it open and with that engine you could be asking for trouble if you ever get into the throttle. check out crash's wirte up on axle tech and read away

rock rash said:
Nope. don't even know where I found it. Seems to have new life now though.
Sometimes maybe I read one and think I'm on a new thread and don't put REAL deep thought into it before I submit a reply. I'm bad I'll take myself off line for a day. Sorry Man won't happen again. I'll chalk it up to using the search button so some guy doesn't get pushed out of shape because I didn't do at least a half hour search prior to posting. Can you ever forgive me ? ? ? :laugh3:

Back