• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regearing what tools are needed

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay after much deliberation I decided to install my own gears so time to round up the tools what all is needed to do the job and if anyone knows where can I get them for a decent price.

Press
Bearing puller set
Micrometer
Dial indicator
Ft/lb torque wrench
inch/lb torque wrench

BUCKYXJ said:
Okay after much deliberation I decided to install my own gears so time to round up the tools what all is needed to do the job and if anyone knows where can I get them for a decent price.

If you have to ask what is needed, you might want to rethink what you're about to get yourself into. Setting up gears correctly takes experience, which sounds like you have none. You might consider finding someone who can show you what's going on. This money saving tactic may turn out to be the complete opposite. But then again, you may get extremely lucky and pull it off without any problems.

As for tools, give these guys a call, I just bought a new dial indicator through them. They may not be the cheapest, but the indicator works great!
www.completeoffroad.com/products/c-21

Patriot thanks for the concern but money isn't the issue. I can get them installed for $200 total both axles but I want to learn. I figure if I wanna get into hard wheeling this is something I want to learn. Anyway the tools I was wondering about are the indicators and dials and stuff like that.

Cool!:) Good luck on learning how to setup gears. It'll drive you nuts for the first little bit, but after tons of practice and the help of a good installer "criticizing" your work, you'll be set.
You might want to check with harbor freight to help get you started on tools. You'll want to get better tools once you've got the hang of it, but their stuff should get you started.

One more thing that will make learning the setup easier. Go to a bone yard and pick up a 9" or a Yota axle, something with a third member. They're easy to work with and you'll get less frustrated while you're learning.

If you've cnever even seen it done before, then I'd recommend that you do that first.

Out here in California, it seems mechanics are made of gold, so money was a reason for me.

I was lucky enough to find a fellow XJ'er wuold is starting down the road of being a VAR. He does this on most weekends and even takes money off the price if you help! (I felt that maybe he should add money to the price for my kind of help! :D )

I got to help and see how it's done. Could I do it myself next time? No. I don't have a press OR the spcial tool for the 8.25 backend. If I had a press, I might tackle the D30 or D35.

Do you have an 8.25 rear axle? Do you have "the tool"? ;)

bburge

Nope I have a D44, I am just finding out what tools I need. My father in law owns a salvage and has a full garage but he said he has never done gears so I need to know what tools to look for out there. He has a press and everything else I know for sure. I am going to be a firefighter so this would be a good part time job is what I am thinking.

BUCKYXJ said:
Patriot thanks for the concern but money isn't the issue. I can get them installed for $200 total both axles but I want to learn. I figure if I wanna get into hard wheeling this is something I want to learn. Anyway the tools I was wondering about are the indicators and dials and stuff like that.
If you want to learn how to do something, often the best first step is to watch/help someone else do it. In light of the old joke rate sheet posted on many independent garages I'd offer the installer $250 to let you watch, or $300 to "help."

$200 for both axles? It's significantly more than that per axle here! :eek:

ps: If you haven't seen the old joke rate sheet, it went something like this:

-------------------------
Labor Rates:

$20 per hour
$30 per hour if you watch
$40 per hour if you help
$50 per hour if you already tried to fix it on your own.

-------------------------

(Hey, it was an old sign)

I've seen a copy of that sign, but now it starts at $50 and goes up in increments of $25.

$200 for both is so low that, based on rates around here, I would run away as fast as possible. Around here, ONE axle is a bargain at $500.

Back