• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody here have a centerforce dual friction

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;
My jeep is finally down and out with a broken slave cylinder, also my peugeot whines like hell in the 5th gear, so i am going to replace it with an AX-15, its too bad as i had just put a centerforce I on it last year.
Now, i am looking at the dual friction one and they say its 90% stronger then the stock one, its kinda pricey for $300. I wanted to know if any of you have it and what are your thoughts or feedback on it, is it really worth the $$$.

Thanks;
ravi

sorry to hear about the pugeot...i 've got one too. dumped a grand into it last summer replacing 1-2nd syncro and some other stuff.

how was the centerforce on it? any different feel? I wasnt aware that they made one for the BA-10.

-J

It really made the shifting smooth, and was much better then the stock OE one that i had before, since the centerforce I was so much better i imagine the dual friction might be the best, but just wanted to know first hand from some one using it.

ravi

If your clutch disc and pressure plate are in good shape why not keep them and just install a new slave?

Bender said:
If your clutch disc and pressure plate are in good shape why not keep them and just install a new slave?

Yes, i can do that but my 5th gear does not work anyway(whines like hell, same is starting in the 4th too) and to install the new slave i will have to take out the tranny(i am blessed with an internal slave :mad: ) , so i might as well dump th POS peugeot as i dont want to pay for labor twice.

Ravi

The AX-15 (internal slave) and the peugeot use the same slave, pressure plate, and clutch disc. Generally pressure plates and clutch discs outlast slaves so considering your clutch disc is only one year old you could leave it in there and it will still give you years of use.

Generally if a clutch is a few years old and you have to remove the tranny you replace the clutch just so you won't have to pull the tranny again in another year. Since your clutch is still new this isn't really an issue for you.

Oh, I have an 88 that came with the peugeot and a couple years back I swapped to an AX-15 from a 98 XJ keeping my same old clutch I had before.

Bender said:
The AX-15 (internal slave) and the peugeot use the same slave, pressure plate, and clutch disc. Generally pressure plates and clutch discs outlast slaves so considering your clutch disc is only one year old you could leave it in there and it will still give you years of use.

Generally if a clutch is a few years old and you have to remove the tranny you replace the clutch just so you won't have to pull the tranny again in another year. Since your clutch is still new this isn't really an issue for you.

Oh, I have an 88 that came with the peugeot and a couple years back I swapped to an AX-15 from a 98 XJ keeping my same old clutch I had before.

Thats actually very good to hear that you have done it too, now the AX-15 that i bought is a 96 one, so i have to use the external slave, now since its an external slave its has a different throw out bearing and will also require a different disc right?, maybe you can guide me through this, also i have a 23 spline TC from a 92 XJ but it was behind and AW4, would that be a problem?. sorry to bother you with so many questions, i would really appreciate your input, also there was a guy here who told me that the clutch would have to be for the same year tranny that i am going to use, but from your post it looks otherwise, i have the article from offroad.com, but he does not talk about clutch. I am confused now???.

Since my AX-15 has the internal slave I can't really comment on your version. I'm sure someone here knows but I highly doubt the clutch discs are different.

Perhaps you can go to a local parts supplier who has stuff in stock and compare clutches from a couple different years?

Bender said:
Since my AX-15 has the internal slave I can't really comment on your version. I'm sure someone here knows but I highly doubt the clutch discs are different.

Perhaps you can go to a local parts supplier who has stuff in stock and compare clutches from a couple different years?

So you say that the 98 AX-15 has a internal slave, why did they go from an internal to a external in 93 or 94 and change back to the the internal in 97-98 :confused: , i guess i will go to the parts store as you said.

Thanks for your time;
Ravi

Back