• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna mount

96country

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything that said if the factory luggage rack bows were strong enough to mount a 3' antenna to. I want to mount it in the center of the rear of the roof, but don't want to mount to the body. Eventually it will be mounted to an aftermarket roof rack.

Also, if they are strong enough, which style mount should I get.

Thanks

i've seen several guys getting brackets that truckers use to mount an antenna on their side view mirrors. they use them to attatch the antanna to the drip rails. i know you said you wanted to mount it to your roof, but then later on to your roof rack...but i figured this could be a decent temp solution.

96 Country, if by "bows" you mean the pieces that run across the width of the vehicle, that's how I mounted mine.

I have a simple stainless steel whip, and I mounted it with the bracket that FitchVA mentions.

That on its own works, but you don't get much of a ground plane this way - the crosspieces seem to be mostly plastic (or at least, the outer shell is), so you may want to run a "counterpoise" to improve things.

What I did for that was to simply run a length of 18-gauge wire out from the bracket to the front-back part of the roof rack on each side, then snaked it down into there as far as I could make it go. I saw my SWR go noticeably down after installing the counterpoise.

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I can try to snap a couple today or tomorrow after work if I have any daylight left, if you'd like.

Rob

you could do that if you want the crapiest reception on earth the bigger plane you have (meaning flat surface) the better it will work.

Back