• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Original exhaust replacement question.

Mr.Creosote

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my new cat and Summit cat-back system...
...and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the dealer only exhaust pipe? This is for a 94 XJ w/68K original miles. I bought it new and it's never had any exhaust work done.

The system doesn't have any leaks yet, but ALL of the clamps have literally rusted away. The only thing holding it all together is corrosion.

I got the Carsound cat off fleaBay and the Dynomax cat-back from Summit. I'm thinking that the flange from the exhaust pipe to the cat is gonna get destroyed and that maybe I could use a new O2 sensor anyway.

Has anybody else done this? Should I just go with all new parts here?
Does about $70 bones sound right for the exhaust pipe from the stealer?

Since you said you bought a cat-back system, and you mentioned "flamge," I assume you mean the down pipe between the header and the catalytic converter.

I doubt that you need to replace that. I have 239,000+ miles on my '88 and the down pipe is fine. The flange will not get trashed when you replace the cat. It's heavy metal. Just cut or grind off the four bolts that hold the cat to the flange, and replace them with stainless steel bolts. You will need a gasket from the dealer, however.

Back