• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 inch lift

willy rich

NAXJA Forum User
alright..i just recently purchased a 90 2 dr xj...4.0 auto, and i happen to get a 4.5 ich lift for 250 bux...it is a rusty's lift...i got with the lift rear springs, front springs, all 4 shocks, front extended rubber brake lines and a relocation bracket for the rear. my question is; what else am i gonna need to finish this lift as far as parts wise...like do i need shims for the rear axle or a T/C drop, any steering changes, i have no idea so any help for you guys would be greatly appreciated...thanks willy

You will probably need a SYE and new rear drive shaft. Some sway bar disconnects....
Spend some time reading about lifts at NAXJA and take make sure you have all the parts you need before you start....
Rick

I got Rusty's 4.5" lift a year ago, and it came with the followings:

- front coils
- rear springs
- shocks
- u-bolts
- fixed lower control arms
- relocating brackets for brake lines
- transfer case drop down washers
- adjustable track bar

You will need all of the above. It took me some time to understand that you also need:

- longer brake hoses, the brackets do not fit on all models and I didn't like to save money on this, being a safety issue.
- 0.75" longer shackles. The springs I was send were too short for the application, too stiff etc. I ended up removing the lower leaf in order to get acceptable ride.
- adjustable upper control arms (so that I could bring my caster to the proper OEM specs)
- heavy duty track bar bushing and frame mount. The TRE that was on the standard track bar that Rusty send me, was dead-on-arrival, causing a huge steering problem, that puzzled me for six months, until I figure out the culprit.

Before you start, make sure that the rear springs front bushings are OK, mine allowed the springs to wander in their mounts, enough to rub on the metal at the side. If they show any sign of fatigue, call Rusty and ask him to send you his heavy duty bushings, they make a world of difference. Also, make sure you check your shocks, mine could be compressed by just touching their shaft with your finger, after being on the truck for six months. If they are bad, order a set of Bilsteins from Rusty, they sure are worth their money.

If you want more details about the issues I faced with Rusty's kit, please check the Cherokee web site at the signature.

The good thing about his lift kit, is that even after one year, my truck still sits at 5.5" of lift!!!

Rgds

Back