• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new leaf spring hardware?

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
So i found some dakota springs for $20 a side and have the passenger side off when I realize that the hardware on both spring sets have seen better days. My question is this.... Where can I find the metal wrap gizmos that keep the leaves together? Where can I find new center pin hardware? I did a search and can't find any info.

Thanks guys!

Burley

The center pins are 5/16" and you should be able to get them at NAPA. As noted, you can get the spring wraps at a spring shop (center pins too, if you have a spring shop handy).

If you don't have a spring shop locally, lemme know and I'll get you the number of the one I deal with. If they won't ship, I can pick stuff up for you and ship it. The wraps are cheap -- IIRC something like $1 or $1.50 each. The ones I get are even the right width to re-use the little rubber pad that comes off the stock XJ springs.

Your right Eagle I found them at NAPA. Is there anything I can fab up myself to replace those metal wraps? Are they only there to hold the leaves together? I imagine I could take two pieces of steel and drill holes in each end on both. Then sandwich the leaves between the pieces with some grade 8 hardware. Would that work?

Burley

Burley said:
Is there anything I can fab up myself to replace those metal wraps? Are they only there to hold the leaves together? I imagine I could take two pieces of steel and drill holes in each end on both. Then sandwich the leaves between the pieces with some grade 8 hardware. Would that work?

Burley

The wraps are there primarily to keep the leaves aligned. Without the warps or something to do the same job, after awhile the leaves can tend to "fan out." This can put a short leaf in a position to rub and cut a tire sidewall. The wraps actually reduce flex, and if you look at YJ springs (for example), they don't use a 360 degree wrap. They use a much heavier gauge strap that's rivited to the underside of one of the secondar leaves, then bends up and then bends again to leave two short legs overhanging the top of the spring -- but no real closure on the top.

You could use two pieces of flat stock and bolts, or square u-bolts and one piece of flat stock, but be careful. On the XJ the springs ride fairly close to the tires, and anything that sticks out to the tire side of the spring is a potential hazard for the tire if there isn't sufficient clearance. This becomes more of an issue if you run big tires on stock rims, and less of an issue of you run aftermarket rims with less backspacing.

Thanks for the help Eagle. I found some of those rebound wraps at a place in Toledo. Ironically it is just about half a block from where the Wranglers and Liberty's are built! I think if my XJ had a middle finger it would have been showing it as we drove by.... The place I got them from specializes in heavy duty springs but had a ton of what i needed. I got the center pins there as well.
Is it against board policy to list a name and phone number of this place? They guy at the counter said he would have been happy to ship the stuff out to save me the trip, so maybe somebody else on the board may need contact info.

Get to finish the install of my Dakota springs tonight! Yeah baby!

Burley

Burley said:
Is it against board policy to list a name and phone number of this place? They guy at the counter said he would have been happy to ship the stuff out to save me the trip, so maybe somebody else on the board may need contact info.

We get upset when companies try to use the forums to advertise themselves, but it's okay for someone who has had a good experience with a vendor to share the info.

We just wouldn't want you to repeat it so often that you become a shill for the company (whether they asked you to or not :) )

Eagle...

Have you used those spring wraps that are a u-shaped piece of metal with a bolt on the tops to secure it? Will those work for the XJ? The wraps that came with my Rancho AAL are crap.

Back