• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple Questions...

Spider Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I searched the forums and found some help but i still had a few questions...
I need to replace the radiator on my '88 XJ (Pioneer,6cyl). The coolant water is badly rust colored and after a few backwashes it still turns rusty.
1.- Are any of the 3 core radiators a direct replacement for the stock 2 core? If not is it still easy enough to install or does it require modifications

2. Is there anything else that should be replaced besides the radiator, hoses and water pump?

3.- Who has good prices on the radiators,hoses, and pumps?

Also, it's kind of unrelated but has anyone used POR-15? I was planning on stripping the inside of my XJ and cleaning the metal with treatment and then coating it with POR-15, as well as under the chasis. Is POR-15 the best stuff to use or is there something better?

Much of that rust comes from running´, used up antifreeze. The main reason they recommend changes, is that antifreeze is acidic, after some years it is nutralized. You probably noticed the rust afer a recent antfreeze change.
Rust won`t usually plug up a radiator, unless it´s flakes. The main culpret is minerals from the water, sand left over from casting and general crude.
We have a local radiator shop, that will hot tank and flush a radiator for $30, if you carry it in. Talk to the guy that does the work, he will let you know, if the core is eaten thin, from to many flushes or electrolysis.
Changing hoses is most times good insurance, make sure the bottom hose has a good spring, to prevent collapse.
I never change a water pump, uless it´s leaking through the seals or the bearings are loud. But I do periodically add a can of water pump lubricant after coolant changes and/or flushes. Cheap insurance.
Try putting some rusty bolts in a small plastic jar of anitfreeze, leave them a week or so. Remove your bolts, wash and oil, use them again, look like new. Antifreeze is one of the better, rust removers, just takes awhile.

The GDI 3-core is a direct replacement for the factory 2-core in an '88. That's what I did. The GDI is slightly thicker than the OEM 2-core, but the only modification I had to make was to slightly elongate the mounting holes in the two straps connecting the top of the radiator to the top of the a/c condenser. Other people have reported having to make the same modification -- takes about 15 seconds.

Before you begin -- under the metal panel that hides the top of your radiator are two rubber cushions with studs in them -- almost like mini transmission mounts. You WILL destroy those when taking off the the trim panel, so go to a dealer and buy new ones before you start the job. Hit the threads with anti-sieze and you should never have to buy new ones again.

You should change and flush your cooling system every two years (more if you get REALLY hot all the time!)

The aftermarket 3-core radiators are a direct drop-in, I've done them twice. I suggest the Modine "Desert Cooler" 3-core - it's even more effective than a standard 3-core and works VERY well! (That's what I use.)

When you refill, DO NOT use tap water! Go with reverse osmosis or distilled water (you should be able to find R/O filtered water for about a quarter a gallon, get a 5-gallon water jug and keep it filled in the garage.)

If you are going to get in this far, make sure to change the hoses and I would go so far as the change the water pump as well. Changing the thermostat is a given in this case (you've got it torn tio bits this far) and be sure to change the belt as well.

When you install the new thermostat, drill two 1/16" holes in the flange on opposite sides of the poppet. Install the thermostat with one hole at 12:00 and the other at 6:00, and you won't have to worry about burping the system (it will take care of itself after about 15 minutes' run time.)

If the plastic volume tank (firewall, passenger side, top) is original, change it as well. It's due to fail anytime now... One thing I've noticed about those - they ALWAYS fail when you're away from home and can't do anything about it!

As stated before, make sure there is a "spring" in the lower hose, as it prevent collapse under suction. If there isn't a coil in the new hose, take it out of the old one.

Also, I made my own flush fittings. Use a 3/8" pipe tee, two short 3/8" pipe nipples, and a 3/8" pipe to 3/4" hose bibb adapter (all brass) and a brass cap. I find the plastic ones tend to break...

5-90

Some of the posts that i found say that the GDI's are no longer made in Mexico and the new ones from China are subpar. So I'll probably go with the Modine. Does anyone know who has good prices on Modine radiators? Preferably someplace i could order the hoses and such from as well.

definately go with Gates hoses and Belts, but then again im a little Biased heh (FYI for all the Gates fans out there, water pumps are coming out soon)

Back