• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Panamint Valley Days

mattb

NAXJA Forum User
I've been 4 wheeling for about 8yrs and have never been part of a club or participated in "organized" events. A friend and I are thinking of changing that by going out to Panamint Valley Days this year. Being from Las Vegas we've done quite a bit off offroading out in Death Valley.

I was just wondering if anyone's been out to this event and what they think?

We'll be driving a lifted Cherokee and a fairly stock Bronco.

Thanks,

Matt

It's a fun event, but more importantly, CA4WDC is in dire need of funds (your Reg. money).
I'll be leading (or more likely tail gunning) the Isham Cyn night run.
Paul

PVD

I haven't been there either, but I am going this year for sure!! Been trying to go for the past two years.

Anybody else going? Give me a yell either before or when we get there. I will probably be the only lifted longbed MJ with a cap!!:D

Later

Wade

I'll be there. I'll be on the Isham Canyon night run on Friday with Paul. I'm also working trail crew, probably tail gunning, on the 9:00 am Defense Mine run on Saturday. This is a very cool mine to explore, plus it will be a fun trail.

Organized runs are always good. Sometimes the trails go slowly because of the amount of people on the runs, but it's a great way to gain knowledge of a new area, meet new people, and the profits go to support land use causes.

I've been going to PVD for probably eight years.

It's a good event!! Come on out, sat dinner is awesome and they have a great raffle too.
I'll be leading the Pleasant Canyon run sat morning.

Dry camping in a centralized area, there will be plenty of both tents and RV's. Porta-potties are set up around the camping area. This is undeveloped desert, so just pick a spot.

There will be a cafe set up under a big awning, and they will serve breakfast and dinner.

So who all from NAXJA is going to be attending this event? I've got forced assigned two weeks of paid vacation to be taken between now and the end of the year. I'm seriously thinking of attending this event. Is this a do-able event with a 15 month old little girl? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan.

TRNDRVR said:
So who all from NAXJA is going to be attending this event? I've got forced assigned two weeks of paid vacation to be taken between now and the end of the year. I'm seriously thinking of attending this event. Is this a do-able event with a 15 month old little girl? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan.

Dan, the wheeling is desert mountain scenery, and except for Isham Canyon which they won't let XJ's run (watch us), is easy to moderate. It's dry camping in the desert with no facilities except the port-potties and the Ruff Rock Cafe which is tables under an awning.

The runs are interesting. Goler Wash goes back to the Barker Ranch which is where Charles Manson and his gang lived, and where eventually caught. A number of trails go up fairly high in the mountains, a couple of years ago the group on the Pleasant Canyon run got a little snow at the top. The is a run to a bunch of old charcoal kilns, and the Defense Mine run ends up at a three level mine that is very fun to explore....but not with an 18 month old. :)

Panamint Valley is one valley to the west of Death Valley, so if you have a week you could spend some time there. From where you are, you would drive through Death Valley to get to Panamint Valley. If you haven't seen the event website, use this link and then go to the event info: http://www.cal4wheel.com/

As far as who's going, read the rest of the thread and maybe check in on the SoCal forum. Not mentioned but going are Porch Puppy, Hinkly, and Mil, plus who knows who else.

Back