• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arms.... what to get?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I'm looking at about 4.5" to 6" of lift.... what do you guys recommend for control arms?? I'm thinking adjustable, and already looked at RE's... anything else out there that;s worth looking at and that won't require for me to win the lottery to get them??

Thanks
Kejtar

Clayton's long arms

I'm a big fan of RE's SuperFlex arms myself. If you go up to 6", I'd highly recommend RE's drop bracket system too, and go with their fixed length LCA's. That or go long-arm. ;)

XJZ said:
....Paul must be checking in with us, on his laptop from Moab......:) Paul, are you going with custom arms?

Paul can only dream about being at Moab. He was a no show. :D

mark

OK... can someone explain to me what is the difference between the superflex and superride arms from RE??? And what heights do the adjustable ones work for? Will they work on the 4.5" to 6" range??

Kejtar

The Super-ride arms have rubber bushings on "both" ends,the Super-flex arms have rubber bushings on the frame end and RE spherical joints on the axle end.I recommend them for any lift that will flex.There quiet,no signs of wear in two years,and theyre adjustable,easy to rebuild!
tnRE3792.jpg

Last edited:
I'd mos def go with a long arm, or atleast a drop bracket. If your looking for just the arms and want bolt on Clayton's looks good. Rusty's look pretty good, but I've heard mixed opinions about their products.

Mark Hinkley said:
Paul can only dream about being at Moab. He was a no show. :D

mark

Mark:

Stop teasing us, it's just not fair!! :bawl: (sometimes it just sucks being a web-wheeler :) ).

I hope you guys are having a gas out there!! Can't wait to hear the stories.

Warren said:
I'd mos def go with a long arm, or atleast a drop bracket.

Ok, why one or the other???? Aren't they at total opposite points of the "solution" spectrum?? A long arm will give a different "operational" result then the drop bracket.... so why one or the other??

Kejtar
P.S. I thought about long arms, but at the moment they mean more work and involvment then I'm willing to spend, and I have seen some nicely setup regular arm (short??) rigs at Moab that did pretty good.

I really think the drop brackets are more complicated than a radius arm setup.Its gotta a lot of things bolted to things!!Although at ride height it will be smoother(than a stock set-up) it still goes thru a larger radius movement.Then theres the loss of ground clearance and possible strength.Right now there is alot of kits like Full Traction coming out that take advantage of both worlds!

XJZ said:
....Paul must be checking in with us, on his laptop from Moab......:) Paul, are you going with custom arms?
Actually, I was on I15 about 1/10 of the way to Moab when all of a sudden my XJ hung a hard right & took me straight to J.V., very strange:confused:
I made some new longer shortarms, similar to Gautman's.
Paul

Glad to hear you're not doing that monkey-see-monkey-do long-arm crap! I really like Richard's set-up, the best of both worlds.

You must have had the XJ on autopilot, strange indeed!

RCP Phx said:
I really think the drop brackets are more complicated than a radius arm setup.Its gotta a lot of things bolted to things!!Although at ride height it will be smoother(than a stock set-up) it still goes thru a larger radius movement.Then theres the loss of ground clearance and possible strength.Right now there is alot of kits like Full Traction coming out that take advantage of both worlds!

Overall long-arms are a simpler design than drop brackets, but the install is more involved because there's a fair amount of cutting and welding required by most kits, though some kits like Rusty's and FT's are completely bolt-on. FT's is a bit of a different bird though, because they use a 4-link, not a radius setup like Clayton, RE, and Rusty do.

You pretty much loose about the same amount of ground clearance either way though.

Kejtar said:
Ok, why one or the other???? Aren't they at total opposite points of the "solution" spectrum?? A long arm will give a different "operational" result then the drop bracket.... so why one or the other??

The whole point of both is to lessen the control arm angles. Drop brackets do it by lowering the mounting point. Long-arms do it by moving the mounting point further back and using of course, longer arms.

Back