• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got stuck today.....need advice

Rough 01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
I just recently asked about putting on a budget boost lift on my 98 XJ. I took it out today (just up country package w/no budget boost) and got majorly stuck in mud.

All I have to say is: mud is very sticky, hi-lift+sticky mud=pain in a$$. I was lucky I had a cell phone to call for help. The whole right side was sunk so that the tires had only 3-4" showing (30x9.5 BFG/AT).

The advice I need is what locker is the best for a DD that I off road 1-2 times a month? I don't do a lot rock crawling and the main obstical is "mud", grass and small rocks. I have 8.25 axle with 3.55 gears.

Last two questions, what will it cost and should I put on a BB or go with the locker? If the install is not too complicated I think I could do it myself. I've done all the other mods to my jeep so far.

TIA

PS. If anyone wants to see pics I'll post some tomorrow of the XJ in the other forum. (lots-o-mud)

Get mud tires. Biggest improvement I've ever made. For a locker, I'd prolly get a no-slip. I wouldn't go through the trouble of regearing an 8.25 again(or changing the carrier) if you paid me, axle's just not worth it IMO.

I agree -- go for tires and locker (or locker and then tires) before doing a budhet boost. My '88 XJ doesn't even have Up Country and it has astonished CJ/YJ/TJ guys. The North Atlatic Chapter went up to the Mohawk Trail area again this weekend, and I ran into one of the TJ guys who went on a run with us last year. He's still mumbling to himself about the stock XJ that went on the same triales as his modified TJ.

If you want a "locker," the no-slip is the best if you plan to install it yourself. The Detroit is the absolute best, but the installation requires more setting up and special tools.

However, when you say "locker," is that what you mean, or are using the term to refer to all traction devices? If your XJ is primarily a daily driver, you might be happier with a limited slip. The TrueTrac is not available for the 8-1/4 axle, but the Auburn is, and it's a very good limited slip, while being more street-friendly than a true locker.

Doesnt the up-country come with a limited slip already I know its not a good one but still something right. GET TIRES!!

What I really want is..

Eagle,
I really appreciate your input. What I really want is to make what happened today in the mud not happen again. It was very aggravating to listen to the passenger side front and rear tires spinning away while the driver side tires just sit there. I want to be able to have the power to go to both sides regardless of the traction.

I want to be able to drive it as a DD and still do well off road. I know that I don't want a locker up front due to it affecting steering immensely. The rear I want to make sure that both tires will pull in all situations while still being able to turn on dry pavement. I don't mind the rear end making noise as long as it's not hurting anything. I have a loud exhaust and not-so-quite tires already so another noise just means turn up the radio. :)

Will a limited-slip device be sufficient or should I go with a locker.

Thanks,

Don't have full up-country package....

azxjman,

I don't have the full up-county package. I just inherited the springs and shocks from a buddy who upgraded his XJ.

Go with the No-Slip!Ive had mine for a couple years now.Its easy to install(about a hour) and its quiet.

Just a thought, but I have a factory LS in my rear diff. Works somewhat. I also have a console parking break, when I get in it pretty deep and it starts spining to much to one side or the other. I take a major yank on the parking brake, release, brake again. Also turn the steering wheel left and right to change the loading on the front diff. I´ve been able to kinda walk it through some stuff, even I didn´t believe. But then again, if it´s deep enough, nothing is gonna help, but a tow strap. A cubic yard of mud wieghs a ton (or more), your not gonna push a couple of tons of wieght very far. Reverse is my friend.

Have you looked at the Aussie locker? It has a fair rep so far - don't know if a 8.25 is available, but probably so.

I know you can't always avoid mud, you're right to be preparing for it. I already have a winch selected on my lo buck fantasy buildup.

I was watching PBS and the first guy to drive across America used a tackle block dozens of times. Some things don't change. Imagine - 3,000 miles of nothing but dirt. Wonder if that could still be done.

Back