• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag issues with rockcrawling?

janorine

NAXJA Forum User
Having built and modified CJ's for the last 10 years for rockcrawling, I've never had to deal with issues such as airbag deployment. Now that I've bought my first XJ (a '96) I am curious about whether airbag deployment is an issue when rockcrawling, such as if one's front bumper were to smack into a sizeable rock. Has anybody had it happen to them? Also, do aftermarket bumpers (or homebuilt ones for that matter) interfere with the operation of the airbag? And finally, do people disable their operation for all of the above listed reasons and is it fairly straightforward (such as pulling a fuse or adding a toggle switch)?

Most new cars these days have a sensor in them that dectects rapid deceleration not contact with bumpers so it wouldnt be a problem, i know my 01 Ranger has one its hid under the cup hold right in the center of the floor.

You know.....I was just wondering this same thing. I have built new bumper mounts (I like the look of the stock bumper) and found nothing in the front of the rig that was obviously a sensor or impact switch.....Eagle probably knows....

I was under my 96 and was wondering if that black plastic canister with the wires coming out of it was some sort of sensor. It is behind the passenger side of the front bumper. Could that be one?

Nope, that black canister is the vacuum resivoir.

IIRC the Air Bag sensor is located near the drivers seat on the floor.Or maybe the trans tunnel?
It is not in the bumper.I have not heard of one(in a Jeep) going off wheeling.
Wayne

The airbags go off with the input of a decellerometer. I believe at camp jeep one year chrysler had a ZJ practically crush in its front end by repeatedly bashing it into a boulder (at offroading speeds) to demsonstrate.

the sensor is in the steering column. the black plastic bottle behind bumper is the vacumm canister. The sensor in middle behind bumper is the temp sensor (in case your wondering if you see it). I have hit a few things and havent had mine go off. I've got a 96 also.

Back