• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear anti-sway bar?

acuxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering what y'all thought about taking off the rear anti-sway bar against leaving it on, on rocks and in mud. Is it better or not?? what are the benifits? ....thanks....

take it off. You'll get way better articulation. I have the front and rear off and it rides fine some body roll but nothing you wont get used to if your a safe driver.

Throw it away. It ussually the first thing to go on a rig that will see dirt. You don't need it. If you leave the front on and take the rear off you won't even notice it on the street but it makes o huge difference on the trail.

rear sway bar

If your rig is lifted and you have some spare time on your hands....You may consider keeping the rear sway bar, adding some lenght to the links (because your lift changed the dynamics of how the factory sway bar performs...now that the links are not long enough to compensate for the lift), and replacing the rubber bushings with urethane units both front and rear. Got your attention? Now that you're fabbin'-up a set of custom links (since nobody sells them for the rear) you might as well make them "quick disconnects".
The argument that I read on these threads about how the rear swaybar is totally useless and you can't tell the difference doesn't hold water with me! Especially with a Daily-Driver lifted rig, you are going to have more sway because of your higher center of gravity. If you a CAREFUL driver who OBEYS ALL TRAFFIC LAWS... OR your rig doesn't see pavement...then you probably don't need your rear bar at all. Otherwise, what about the "Emergency Drunk-Driver-Advoidance Maneuver" or the "OOPS! Is that my exit?!" lane crossing?
Granted...5/8" dia. is not really BEEFY, but going to urethane bushings will help "add some diameter" to your rear bar. Look-up some postings about home-brewed front discos and improvise.
You'll probably beat me to it (I'm back-logged in getting Mods installed on my XJ), but I'm going to do the same thing!
Good Luck,
BLUTO :)

Re: rear sway bar

BLUTO said:
..you are going to have more sway because of your higher center of gravity.

Most of the changes you can make to the rear suspension for lift will result in an increase in the rear roll center as well as the CG. This results in very little change in the roll moment arm. At the front, the roll center typically rises at 1/2 the rate of lift which increases roll, but only at 1/2 the rate you would exect.

There's probably 100 XJ's in Moab this week. Most are dual purpose street and trail rigs. I would guess that not one of them has a rear sway bar. A very large majority run the front sway bar on the street.

I would hardly say there's a safety issue with removing the rear sway bar. As mentioned on the OEM board (same question), JEEp didn't even have one one the up country package and just imagine the ramifications if it did cause roll-overs, etc. I couldn't even tell the difference when I removed mine. I must not be perceptive enough.

There are many other factors with modified XJ's that could be considered less than perfect as far as safety and handling goes, the removal of the rear sway bar would be at the very bottom of that list.

What's your guess on why no one makes extended rear links/disconnects?

When I lift mine I want to put a big 1/4 steel tranny/transcase skid plate underneath for 1 protection and 2 move my CG down because of the weight, think it'll work?

Pulled mine the other day, and it still runs through the hills like a sports car. And that is with a 6 inch lift, the 12.5 inch wide tires might help. And if you want discos I will give you a deal on mine, they are skyjacker.

Back