• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84-86 XJ possibilities

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently looking for an XJ. My budget is just shy of non-existant. I am working on a deal right now for a 88 4.0L that I asked about in another tread.
If this does not work out I will be on the hunt again and I find that the 84-86 are a lot cheaper and not well liked. I know this has to do with the GM 2.8LV6(POS).
Has anyone had any success swapping in a small bock V8? I am thinking mainly of a 5.0l Ford, but anything anyone else has done might be interesting.
My plans are for a good trail rig, 3-5in lift, 31"-33" tires and used 80% for off road use, not as a daily driver. I want a toy.
I would love to hear any thoughts, suggestions, ideas etc.
I do not need one that runs right away, I want a project to work on over time as money allows.
Thanks,
Scott

i would ditch the ford 5.0 and go with the 350 chevy. just cuz parts are easyier to come buy.

Advance Adapters makes a drop-in SBChevvy kit (you still need to get donor support for the engine, but the mount is supposed to go right in!) but if you end up with the 2.8, a good swap is to dicth the thing and put in a RWD 3.1 or 3.4 (S10/Camaro/Firebird.) The later V6-60's are actually decent engines and worth the trouble to install.

Going with a 4.3 (V6-90, IIRC) is another viable option, which should be easier to wedge in than a small block. Something else to think about.

Trying to wedge a 4.0 into 84-86XJ requires some significant work to the front clip to make room. It's not impossible - I think someone here has done it - but it would take some doing...

5-90

I haven't come across any XJs with Ford conversions, but I'm sure it has been done somewhere. There are (or have been) a few SBC conversions among our members. Remember that cooling is an issue for the 4.0L -- more engine creates more heat. Cooling seems to be a prevailing problem with the Chevy V-8 conversions as well, and that does not bode well for wheeling.

The 2.8L V-6 is a POS but the 2.5L I-4 is a great engine, and performance parts are still available through Chrysler. If you are looking in the 84-86 range, I suggest getting a 4-cyl. Then snag a spare engine out of a junkyard, and spend the winter building that up with a Mopar Stage 3 cam and go from there.

"HossHoffer" and "Ghost" should be able to advix=se you on the 2.5L

it is an AMC/Jeep engine. Remember that chrysler did not buy AMC untill I think 88.

I have heard that some 84s had the iron duke in them, but I have yet to see it.

Andy

I found out (recently, and somewhere farily reputable IMO) that the AMC2.5 is nothing more or less than the AMC258 less the two centre cylinders, so there is some commonality of parts with that engine as well (most of the front-end stuff and a good portion of the internals, but I'd have to check to make sure. I think I have specs on everything somewhere...)

I concur with Eagle on heat issues with the SBChevvy - that's why I forwarded the idea of the V6. Stuffing the engine bay won't help cooling any, and going with the V6 will maintain a decent amount of space and save some modifications that you really SHOULD do to get more airflow over the block. I'd still crank up the cooling system anyhow, just because you can overheat ANYTHING if you try hard enough!

Anyhow, that helps to outline some of my thought processes (although I'm often told that that is impossible! :))
5-90

oldmopars said:
So, this would be the same Jeep/AMC now Chrysler 4 cyl that they use in the 95+ Dodge Dakotas?

I don't think so -- I believe that's a Chrysler engine. The Jeep 2.5L is an AMC design that was introduced in the early 80's in the last couple of years of the Eagle, and was the only 4-cyl engine offered in the XJ. It is still the 4-cyl engine in the Wrangler, although I expect DaimlerChrysler will kill it off at the next Wrangler update cycle, because DC hates everything AMC designed. However, it's a great engine. It is essentially a shortened bersion of the 4.0L. When Jeep was winning all those truck races with the Comanches, they were running the 2.5L 4-banger. For off-road, a slightly modified 2.5L should be a really nice package.

BTW -- AMC did buy Iron Dukes from GM to put in the Eagles for a couple of years, but that was before the AMC/Jeep 2.5L. The Iron Duke was never used in the XJ.

I'd stay up in the 88 range. I prefer the 4.0 to the 2.5 just because of the torque. Before you 4 banger guys get mad at me I should point out that my YJ has the 2.5. Great engine. It even runs my 33's pretty well if you flog it. Some new 4.88 gears will solve that problem. But for your "nonexsistant budget" why not buy the XJ with an engine that can keep you somewhat satisfied already installed? If you still want to swap then you can but you'll enjoy the 2 extra cylinders until then ;-)

The 2.5 is all AMC but is the new 2.5 in the Wrangler the same engine (redesign) or a completely new beast? Like I said before, I've got no complaints about my YJ's 2.5, it's run very well and hassle free for 8 years.

Actually I like the 2.5L.....

And I believe the newer ones are quite nice. 91-96 In 97 there was a slight redesighn and then again this year. 84-86 XJ's are sweet if you get the 2.5L IMHO. As for the 5.0 Ford swap, it has been done. There is aguy in NC that did it but I have lost his info. And Z and M conversions (they specialize in 5.0 transplants into the wranglers) was working on one a couple of years ago. when I talked to them they were going to offer a engine mount cradle but have yet to see it listed on their site. IMHO the 88-94? is the perfect beast. It is a self contained engine that only requires 12V sources and keyed sources. I have a 86 5.0 to swap in but have not done it yet. I have several other things I want to do b4 tackling that project. Oh yea don't over pay for the 84-86 bc there are plenty of 87-90's out there cheap too. Hell there is a 89 Limited in my town for $600! Let me know if I can help.

Another small thing to consider when doing a V-8 swap is the GM engine has the distributor on the back of the engine, and the Ford 5.0 it's on the front. Clearance could be a problem. :farmer:

3.4 swap, if you do a search here it will turn up a few good threads. One or 2 guys here have used the fuel injection, I am using a Weber on mine. I'd dare say mine has a good bit more umph than any stock 4.0 XJ I've ever driven, the 4.10 factory gearing in mine may have a bit to do with that though :) I may say different after the 31's are on but I doubt it as it really is winding the rpm's on the interstate on the 225/75's now. The 3.4 should even be emisions legal if that matters at all.
Mike B.

as far as the amc 2.5, when chrysler bought jeep they used the amc engine in the dodge dakota. all jeeps/dodge trucks up to the 2003 model year used the same basic amc design chrysler just adopted it as their own. the only changed over the years were minor additions to fuel injection etc. 2004 models introduced the 2.4 (liberty and now wrangler) the dakota doesnt have a 4 cyl base engine this year as the redesign will be out later this year/next model year.

parts are interchangeable from all amc/dodge RWD 2.5's (not the same as the mitsubishi 2.5 in caravans etc) you can easily swap in a newer fuel injected 2.5 with harness.

Two years ago at the Jeep Jamboree in Crandon, WI, I talked to a guy that just retired from DC/AMC and worked his whole life in the Kenosha engine plant. He told me that the 2.5l engine was the 4.0l engine with the middle two cylders taken out. He started working there in the early 60s when AMC introduced the 7main bearing six(199/232/258/4.0l) and was going to retire when they quit making it. He's retired and there still making it! He also said in the 40 year time period that he worked there they modified/improved/ lightened the casting three times.

The 2.5L 4 banger drives my YJ with 4:10's on 33's pretty well. A regear to 4:88's would me nice but it works for now and I'm planning on swapping out just about everything from engine to axles some fine day when I have some $$.

Avenger (I think) makes a supercharger for the 2.5L which might give it some more juice although I don't know if the conversion works in an XJ or MJ. Anyone know someone who's tried it? I'm pondering it but the V8 and the charger I think will be close $$wise.

It might be easier to find an MJ with the 4.0 already in... makes life a lot easier and it's a tough engine.

parts are interchangeable from all amc/dodge RWD 2.5's (not the same as the mitsubishi 2.5 in caravans etc) you can easily swap in a newer fuel injected 2.5 with harness.

Augh!

There are two RWD 2.5's... from what I've heard. The original Dakota's
2.5 was a Chrysler 2.5 modified for RWD applications - BEFORE Chrysler
bought Jeep. At some point in the past handful of years, they standardized
on ONE 4-cyl RWD engine.

Please don't confuse the Chrysler 2.5 (the piston-slappin', overbored cousin
to the Chrysler 2.2) with the oil-burnin' Mitsu 2.6! Two different beasts.

I've heard too many HUNDREDS of folks who believe that all FWD
Chryslers were Mitsu-powered. The Chrysler 2.2/2.5 has more in common
with the late-70's VW motor (that Chrysler bought for use in Omnis and
such in the early years) than it has with the Mitsu...

Den

Don't beat up the Mitsu 2.6?L 4 banger too bad, I had one in a 81 or 83 Chrysler LeBaron convertable (can't remember which year). It was my first car and I beat the living $*^* out of it. That little mitsu engine held up like a champ. I wrecked that car more times than I will admitt but the engine keep running great.

Back