• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with the AW4

PNWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well my AW4 finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with another with only 32k on it. Finally it is driving like it should but there is only two things that doesnt seem right to me... When it shifts from 3rd to 4th(OD) the RPMs drop as expected for a second but then they jump back up for like a second and then back to the proper OD rpms. I am not sure if it is slipping on the shift or if there is a bad electrical connection somewhere??? Also when going 30-40 the TC lockup is VERY touchy. It will unlock with the slightest lift of the throttle, is this normal or is it over sensitive to the TPS? It isnt as touchy with the "power" switch on but I usually use the "comfort" setting. I do know the differences between the two setting I just would like to know if these actions are normal and if not what I need to check out to repair the situation.

There are no other problems and I am very happy with its performance, nice crisp shifts, cool running temp ect.

TIA

Tim

Messing around in the motor today, decided to check the grounds. Battery ground by the dipstick bracket. Went for a test drive, my tired old tranny, seemed like it was ten years younger. Guess the TCU is one of the small ground wires that mount there also.
Might be relavent to your problems, might not, but sure can´t hurt to clean the ground and maybe put in a couple of serious star washers.

I would suspect the TPS, as it is well known for wierd shift issues, also for shifting in-and-out of OD. Also check the connector on the TPS, the TPS ground (critical), and has your XJ got the infamous firewall connector that causes so much greif?
I actually spliced in a new ground wire right from the TPS to engine ground, sure fixed a lot of shifting irregularities.

Back