• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rack lighting

Andy in Co.

NAXJA Forum User
Do anyone have a good plan on where the electrical wires should come out of the vehicle and up to the rack. I want to run 4 lights up front, one each on the sides and rear. 91 Laredo:confused:

Although this really isn't the best pic, it's all I have and you get the basic idea....LOL. I ran the wires down in the space along the edge of the windshield gasket, then along the bottom edge. I then removed the 'wiper panel' to feed the wires to the firewall where the relays were mounted.

http://www.fototime.com/{6C2C9986-713C-4FEE-ACF0-3774CEF91995}/picture.JPG

I think the big thing is water leak which will = rust. You will have to drill and than use some sealer for the hole, a gromat for the wires helps as well. I have used 3M weatherstrip adhasive for sealing my windows and sunroof. it would work great for the holes in the roof. Juice

If you have a factory roof rack:

I ran my wires under the trim on the driver's side front pillar. Then I drilled a hole under the cap for the roof rack rail. This cap and a bunch of silcon sealer has made for a clean water tight install.

0.jpg
1.jpg

I like that idea

Simple. Did you run down each side or just one side ?? For some reason I always thought silicone sealer and steel like that were a no-no that the silicone would corrode the metal and that rtv was a better choice.

Another method is to use amphenol bulkhead connectors. You see them on alot of military vehicles for connecting up radios, nbc detectors, etc. They offer a fast way to remove the rack w/lights still installed and they have a cap that seals the bulkhead connector when not in use.
They come unassembled and in a variety of configurations and wire counts. You do need to drill a pretty big hole in the roof or other area where you plan on putting it, usually 1/2 up to 1" depending on the wire count.

I certaintly hope it doesn't react. I've had it for about 2 years and it seems fine. I used this black goo I found on a shelf in the shop, not the standard clear silicon.

I just ran the wires up one side. As for the amp connectors they are nice to use but I'd use them "inline" instead of putting a flange mount into the vehicle. They have water tight gaskets but they are a large hole as you said.

Matt

I would use RTV sealant as oppose to silicone. I think it is better. Another option is to get a weather tight cord grip gromet from an electrical supply house and then get some cord that has as many wires in it that you need. You can get 12/3 and 12/4 cable.

Run the wire through the cord grip and tighten.

mattb - where did you get your rppf rack mounts for your rack??

The mounts are off of a SURCO roof rack. Here's a link to one one of many vendors:

http://www.accessconnect.com/safarirackmountingkits.htm

I'm using the J100.

The only modification is that they provide a clamp which fits inside their custom channels. I took these, machined them, and used them as shims to make all six mounts level. In my photos above, they are the black pieces ontop of the clamps (in their photos they're silver.)

These mounts have been absolutely great and the cost isn't too bad.

Enjoy,

Matt

Back