• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control problems

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey

Today my cruise control stopped working. I have no intention of taking the car to my local Jeep dealer, becouse he will ruin me. I know this could be just some small problem with the vaccum or some kind of electrical problem. Do the cruise have a tendency to stop working becouse of some kind of well known problem? I don't know, and that's why I ask you guys (gurus). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Arnt H. Andresen

I'm definitely no guru... but the first step would be, as you suggested, to look for a vaccuum or electrical problem. Open the hood with the engine running and listen for any sucking noises. Check the fuse box(es) for any blown fuses. Beyond that, I'll leave to the real gurus rather than someone who just manages to get himself hurt everytime he opens the hood....

Arnt, the vacuum system is probably most suspect.

(depending on year and equipment for your particular XJ over there - coming from the viewpoint of the ignorant American...)

Look for vacuum lines which run beneath te battery tray and out into a plastic tank located in the Left end of the front bumper -- If you have two lines (again this changes with year) the tank will also incorporate a one-way valve -- the tank often breaks (either from hitting it or just from water collecting in it and freezing) it should hold vacuum, if it has two connections, you should only be able to suck air through the one connected to the engine's intake manifold -- as you can imagine there's a lot of hose length - a hole in that hose (rotted from being under the battery) will impair your vacuum functions (should also impact your air controls causing your blower to blow only out of the defrosters at sustained full throttle)

look over the lengths of both of those hose systems for vacuum issues...

If you have the turn signal stalk mounted cruise switch, that's another likely candidate for your problem. A search on this forum will find how to check and replace that. Saved me probably $150 over having the stealership fix it.

Yes, the wire that is partly exposed from the turn signal / cruise switch has a tendancy to break where is flexes. It can be repaired with a delicate touch and a small solder iron. Also check your brake pedal switch.

Back